Las Vegas Sun

October 23, 2014

Currently: 64° — Complete forecast | Log in | Create an account

Neighbors rescue man from burning couch

Fire

A group of people rescued an elderly man from a burning couch inside his apartment Friday night after they noticed smoke coming from his doorway.

Las Vegas Fire and Rescue responded to reports of the fire about 8 p.m. at the Mavericks Apartment Complex at 221 Bruce Street near Charleston Boulevard.

A man in his 60s was sitting on his couch when it caught fire from a cigarette, Las Vegas Fire and Rescue spokesman Tim Szymanski said. A medical issue prevented him from walking, leaving him trapped on the burning couch.

Nearby neighbors saw the smoke coming out of his open front door. They armed themselves with fire extinguishers to stave off the flames and then ran inside to pull the man out, Szymanski said.

Firefighters extinguished the fire in less than a minute after their arrival. The man was transported to Sunrise Hospital and Medical Center in serious condition.

Preliminary investigation indicates that the fire started when the man had rested a lit cigarette near his medical oxygen equipment next to the couch. The oxygen accelerated the fire, spreading onto the couch, Szymanski said.

The fire caused approximately $10,000 in damage to the apartment. No one else was injured in the incident.

Join the Discussion:

Check this out for a full explanation of our conversion to the LiveFyre commenting system and instructions on how to sign up for an account.

Full comments policy

Previous Discussion: 1 comment so far…

Comments are moderated by Las Vegas Sun editors. Our goal is not to limit the discussion, but rather to elevate it. Comments should be relevant and contain no abusive language. Comments that are off-topic, vulgar, profane or include personal attacks will be removed. Full comments policy. Additionally, we now display comments from trusted commenters by default. Those wishing to become a trusted commenter need to verify their identity or sign in with Facebook Connect to tie their Facebook account to their Las Vegas Sun account. For more on this change, read our story about how it works and why we did it.

Only trusted comments are displayed on this page. Untrusted comments have expired from this story.

  1. Thank the Lord that we have not infringed on smokers rights to puff away in their domicile. I'm surprised the oxy tank didn't blow up, infringing on the rights of the neighbors. Oh well, we need to cull the herd, and this is one way to do the "Lords work".