Thursday, May 9, 2013 | 11:15 p.m.
The Clark County School Board honored six New Teachers of the Year on Thursday.
The six were chosen among a list of teachers nominated by their respective schools for commendable work during their first year of employment with the School District.
During the regular board meeting Thursday, district officials played video testimonials from students attesting to the hard work and motivation of these rookie teachers.
The six New Teachers of the Year for the 2012-13 school year are:
• Rebecca Cidre, kindergarten teacher at Sewell Elementary School
• Katie Lawrence, fourth-grade teacher at Beckley Elementary School
• Sara Kelley, art teacher at Detwiler Elementary School
• Ernie Domanico Jr., seventh-grade math teacher at Rogich Middle School
• Ryon Tanara, 12th grade English teacher at Canyon Springs High School
• Avant Gates, special education resource room teacher at Orr Middle School
School Board members also recognized Bracken STEAM Academy Principal Katie Decker for being named the National Principal of the Year by the Magnet Schools of America, a national association for magnet and theme-based schools. Bracken's magnet focus is on science, technology, engineering, arts and math (STEAM).
Since 2001, when Decker became principal of Bracken, the elementary school transformed from one of the lowest-performing to one of the top 5 percent schools in the Clark County School District. This year, Bracken was named a high achieving school by the Nevada Department of Education under the No Child Left Behind system.
Decker will be personally honored at a future School Board meeting, said Interim Superintendent Pat Skorkowsky.