Las Vegas Sun

November 21, 2014

Currently: 55° — Complete forecast | Log in | Create an account

Fire at medical building blamed on electrical problem

Image

Steve Marcus

A firefighter descends a ladder after a fire at a medical building at Maryland Parkway near Vegas Valley Drive Wednesday, May 1, 2013.

Medical Building Fire

A firefighter prepares to descend a ladder after a fire at a medical building at Maryland Parkway near Vegas Valley Drive Wednesday,  May 1, 2013. Launch slideshow »

Fire investigators determined on Friday that an electrical malfunction sparked the fire that caused $1 million in damage to a medical building near Sunrise Hospital and Medical Center, Clark County Deputy Fire Chief Erik Newman said.

The fire broke out Wednesday morning in the building at 3025 S. Maryland Parkway, which houses Southern Nevada Medical Group, Sunrise Pediatrics, Quest Diagnostics and West Coast Imaging.

Firefighters pulled down ceiling and drywall to get at the fire, taking 40 minutes to extinguish it. Later that afternoon, the fire reignited, forcing firefighters to return to extinguish it for good, Newman said.

The fire was ruled accidental, but investigators have yet to determine where the electrical malfunction occurred or what caused it, Newman said.

The building will be closed for an undetermined period of time due to fire, smoke and water damage, Newman said.

Join the Discussion:

Check this out for a full explanation of our conversion to the LiveFyre commenting system and instructions on how to sign up for an account.

Full comments policy