Las Vegas Sun

April 18, 2014

Currently: 79° — Complete forecast | Log in | Create an account

Henderson house fire blamed on discarded cigarette

A discarded cigarette led to a fire Monday night in the garage of a Henderson home, fire officials said.

A fire alarm tipped off the homeowner who called 911 at 9:08 p.m. The Henderson Fire Department arrived to the home — located near Kelso Dunes Avenue and Stephanie Street — and found heavy fire coming from the garage, officials said.

Four adults and one dog who lived in the home escaped unharmed. A civilian suffered minor burns to his arms but was treated and released on scene, officials said.

The fire did not extend into the living area of the home, but there was some smoke damage. The blaze was ruled accidental by fire investigators.

In the garage, investigators found a cigarette that had been discarded there earlier in the evening, officials said.

Join the Discussion:

Check this out for a full explanation of our conversion to the LiveFyre commenting system and instructions on how to sign up for an account.

Full comments policy