Published Wednesday, June 19, 2013 | 8 a.m.
Updated Wednesday, June 19, 2013 | 1:09 p.m.
RENO — A Catholic high school's "Safe and Sober" graduation party was cut short in Reno after some students reported getting sick from eating cookies, and sheriff's deputies are investigating whether the goodies may have been laced with marijuana or some other illegal substance.
Jim Toner, acting president of Bishop Manogue High School, told the Reno Gazette-Journal that at least one student was taken to the hospital after the June 1 party.
Toner said it's unfortunate that the actions of a few students tarnished the school's reputation.
The overnight graduation party is a tradition that involves students meeting at the school, going to Mass, having dinner, and going to a bowling alley and an arcade. More than 90 percent of the senior class of 130 participated in the event put on by the school's parent association.
Toner said the party had 17 parent chaperones and that at least one student has come forward and apologized. The students suspected of being involved were all graduates, he said.
The school said it is not certain whether the substance or substances that made the students sick were ingested before they arrived at the party or at the party.
Bob Harmon of the Washoe County Sheriff's office said the information provided to police is serious enough to warrant an investigation.
The Washoe County School District said it did not have any incidents reported at any of its graduation parties.