Tuesday, June 18, 2013 | 8:28 p.m.
A family of eight was displaced from their home on Tuesday after the house caught fire from a carelessly discarded cigarette.
Clark County Fire received multiple calls at 4:30 p.m. about a grass fire in front of a home in the 5464 block of Escondido Street, near Russell Boulevard and Maryland Parkway. Firefighters arrived to find that high winds had fanned a small grass fire out of control, catching the house on fire, county fire officials said.
Flames consumed the side of the house and attic. It took about 20 minutes and assistance from Las Vegas Fire & Rescue to extinguish the fire, officials said.
No one was injured in the incident. The fire caused about $85,000 in damage.
Fire investigators determined that the incident was accidental and caused by a carelessly discarded cigarette, officials said.