Las Vegas Sun

August 30, 2014

Currently: 98° — Complete forecast | Log in | Create an account

More turmoil for Bonaventura: Deputy constable alleges sexual harassment in suit

Image

Mona Shield Payne / Special to the Las Vegas Sun

Las Vegas Township Constable John Bonaventura

Updated Friday, June 14, 2013 | 4:40 p.m.

Nearly a year after she was terminated from her job with the Las Vegas Township Constable’s Office, former Deputy Constable Kristy Henderson is fighting back with a lawsuit.

Henderson was fired on July 13 after she was informed that “her services were no longer needed,” according to an amended complaint filed in Clark County District Court earlier this week.

In the lawsuit, which names Constable John Bonaventura, constable spokesman Lou Toomin, the Constable’s Office and Clark County as defendants, Henderson alleges that she was sexually harassed and that her firing was retaliatory.

Henderson, who was hired by previous Constable Robert Gronauer, alleges that after Bonaventura was elected to the office in 2010, he began making inappropriate sexual comments toward her on a regular basis, including asking her to wear a miniskirt and garters to work, along with other sexually harassing statements.

The suit mentions two other specific instances previously reported by the Sun that preceded Henderson’s firing.

One allegedly occurred in June 2012 when Henderson was called in for what was described as an “informal interview” that would result in no discipline to discuss a citizen complaint against Ray Jacoby, another deputy constable and Henderson’s boyfriend.

Henderson allegedly witnessed the infraction, which led to Jacoby being suspended for five days without pay and Henderson receiving a verbal warning.

The suit alleges Henderson’s rights as a peace officer were violated when she was not informed of her right to have representation during the interview.

Jacoby was fired by the department in August and has filed a lawsuit of his own alleging his termination was retaliatory.

Henderson alleges she was fired, in part, because of her relationship with Jacoby, alleging that Bonaventura told her the office would not “love her” again until she “dumped Ray.”

A second issue mentioned in Henderson’s suit involves her refusal to participate in a reality television program the Constable’s Office was attempting to film.

County commissioners scolded the constable when a video of deputies using profanity on the job surfaced in December 2011. The video was a pilot for a potential reality television series, but representatives from the Constable’s Office told commissioners they weren’t pursuing it any further.

That changed, according to the lawsuit, when Henderson was asked six months later by Toomin to write a biographical statement because producers wanted to feature her in the reality show.

Henderson complied with the order but stated it was only because she was afraid of reprisal, and later told Toomin she would not participate in the reality show, according to the lawsuit. Less than a week later, she was fired.

Two other constable’s officers, Timothy Beckett and Daniel Palazzo, have also filed a suit against Bonaventura stemming from the reality television controversy. Both allege they refused to lie to county commissioners on behalf of Bonaventura about the purpose of the pilot and, as a result, they were demoted and subsequently fired.

Henderson’s suit brings seven causes for action, including intentional infliction of emotional distress, breach of contract and negligent supervision.

It also claims that Henderson’s due process and free speech rights were violated as part of a retaliatory termination.

The suit asks the court for injunctive relief to reinstate Henderson to her pervious position and salary as a deputy constable immediately.

Henderson is also seeking a variety of general, compensatory and special damages in excess of $10,000.

A separate sexual harassment complaint filed by Henderson last summer with the federal Equal Employment Opportunity Commission is still under investigation, according to her attorney Ben Scroggins.

County commissioners voted in March to abolish the Las Vegas Township Constable’s Office after repeated missteps and controversies. The office will be closed in 2015 unless Bonaventura prevails in a lawsuit he’s filed against the county that is awaiting a ruling from the state Supreme Court.

Join the Discussion:

Check this out for a full explanation of our conversion to the LiveFyre commenting system and instructions on how to sign up for an account.

Full comments policy

Previous Discussion: 1 comment so far…

Comments are moderated by Las Vegas Sun editors. Our goal is not to limit the discussion, but rather to elevate it. Comments should be relevant and contain no abusive language. Comments that are off-topic, vulgar, profane or include personal attacks will be removed. Full comments policy. Additionally, we now display comments from trusted commenters by default. Those wishing to become a trusted commenter need to verify their identity or sign in with Facebook Connect to tie their Facebook account to their Las Vegas Sun account. For more on this change, read our story about how it works and why we did it.

Only trusted comments are displayed on this page. Untrusted comments have expired from this story.

  1. Every other week there is something new with the LV Constable's office. This place is an insane as it is a disgrace.

    How about we start taking wagers on what charges come up next? Straight bets for individuals being accused, Progressive Parleys for multiple Constables involved, and Propositions on Convictions and Court Rulings for the charges. Who'll give me odds on Trafficking and DUI charges hitting the office next? Further more, what will the point spread on Bonaventura's BAC be the next time he gets pulled over?