Las Vegas Sun

August 28, 2014

Currently: 86° — Complete forecast | Log in | Create an account

Jose Canseco cleared in sexual assault investigation

Jose Canseco will not be charged in connection with a Metro Police investigation into allegations of sexual assault against the former Major League Baseball star.

In late May , Canseco was identified as a suspect in a sexual assault case.

Canseco, a Las Vegas resident, took to social media and vehemently denied the allegations.

Metro Police officer Jose Hernandez said Canseco came in for a polygraph test this week, and the investigation has been concluded. No charges will be sought.

“Based on the investigation and a review of the case itself, the case has been closed,” Hernandez said.

Early Friday, the former all-star and 1988 American League Most Valuable Player, appeared to offer his story for money on Twitter.

“Polygraph results up for sale with the true detailed story of what happened that night,” was posted from the verified @JoseCanseco Twitter feed.

Canseco played in the majors from 1985 until 2001.

Join the Discussion:

Check this out for a full explanation of our conversion to the LiveFyre commenting system and instructions on how to sign up for an account.

Full comments policy

Previous Discussion: 2 comments so far…

Comments are moderated by Las Vegas Sun editors. Our goal is not to limit the discussion, but rather to elevate it. Comments should be relevant and contain no abusive language. Comments that are off-topic, vulgar, profane or include personal attacks will be removed. Full comments policy. Additionally, we now display comments from trusted commenters by default. Those wishing to become a trusted commenter need to verify their identity or sign in with Facebook Connect to tie their Facebook account to their Las Vegas Sun account. For more on this change, read our story about how it works and why we did it.

Only trusted comments are displayed on this page. Untrusted comments have expired from this story.

  1. He faced years in prison. Why not prosecute the woman who made the false allegations?

    Disgusting to see you have these vile people get away with accusing innocent people. There should be reciprocity. This idea that such prosecutions will deter victims from coming froward - puts who at a disadvantage?

    INNOCENT PEOPLE! The burden should not be put on innocent people.

  2. Agreed. Granted of course we don't want to create a chilling effect to discourage actual victims from coming forward when they have been wronged. Aside from clearing the accused, there should be an investigation into the accuser themselves to see if a case can indeed be presented that they had malicious intent to make false allegations from the start. When people make false claims, there should indeed be some sort of punishment. But we have to ensure that we can prove it.