Las Vegas Sun

January 30, 2015

Currently: 54° — Complete forecast | Log in | Create an account

Careless smoking blamed for fire that killed 2 dogs

Careless smoking led to a fire in North Las Vegas that killed two dogs, North Las Vegas fire officials said.

Units from the North Las Vegas, Clark County, and Las Vegas fire departments responded about 2:20 p.m. Wednesday to the home at 2134 Crawford St., officials said. Firefighters could see smoke coming from the house and were able to extinguish the blaze within 10 minutes, officials said.

The single-family home was destroyed, and damage was estimated at $142,000, fire officials said.

The Red Cross is assisting three men displaced by the fire.

Join the Discussion:

Check this out for a full explanation of our conversion to the LiveFyre commenting system and instructions on how to sign up for an account.

Full comments policy

Previous Discussion: 2 comments so far…

Comments are moderated by Las Vegas Sun editors. Our goal is not to limit the discussion, but rather to elevate it. Comments should be relevant and contain no abusive language. Comments that are off-topic, vulgar, profane or include personal attacks will be removed. Full comments policy. Additionally, we now display comments from trusted commenters by default. Those wishing to become a trusted commenter need to verify their identity or sign in with Facebook Connect to tie their Facebook account to their Las Vegas Sun account. For more on this change, read our story about how it works and why we did it.

Only trusted comments are displayed on this page. Untrusted comments have expired from this story.

  1. Poor dogs.

  2. 2 poor dogs dead, and entire house burned to the ground. All because someone couldn't be responsible. Smoking goes beyond the health hazards for the individual or even others through second hand smoke. You're holding fire in your hands! Things that are flammable will burn, and you're constantly waving a torch around your surroundings. Doesn't matter if it's a cigarette, a candle, or even a stove. You're working with fire and need to be careful. Smokers should be doubly aware of this since they're always running around and lighting things on fire in their mouths. If not for flame-retardant clothes and bedding you really have to wonder how many more deaths we would have due to careless people such as this.