Las Vegas Sun

September 1, 2014

Currently: 104° — Complete forecast | Log in | Create an account

Candle blamed for house fire that does $75,000 damage

An unattended candle started a house fire this morning that did about $75,000 damage and created a column of smoke that could be seen for miles, the Clark County Fire Department reported.

A family of five was able to escape the house without injury, officials said.

The fire was reported about 7:40 a.m. at a home in the 900 block of Count Wutzke Avenue, fire officials said.

When firefighters arrived, one end of the house and the attic were engulfed in flames, and a neighboring house was being threatened, officials said. The fire was quickly brought under control, officials said.

Join the Discussion:

Check this out for a full explanation of our conversion to the LiveFyre commenting system and instructions on how to sign up for an account.

Full comments policy

Previous Discussion: 1 comment so far…

Comments are moderated by Las Vegas Sun editors. Our goal is not to limit the discussion, but rather to elevate it. Comments should be relevant and contain no abusive language. Comments that are off-topic, vulgar, profane or include personal attacks will be removed. Full comments policy. Additionally, we now display comments from trusted commenters by default. Those wishing to become a trusted commenter need to verify their identity or sign in with Facebook Connect to tie their Facebook account to their Las Vegas Sun account. For more on this change, read our story about how it works and why we did it.

Only trusted comments are displayed on this page. Untrusted comments have expired from this story.

  1. The unfortunate thing is that while insurance may sight the damages of the fire totaling 75k, the house is probably worth less. Yes, Nevadans are upside down even in insurance coverage to our realestate market.