Las Vegas Sun

September 19, 2014

Currently: 92° — Complete forecast | Log in | Create an account

Careless smoking ignites fire, killing man

Fire

A man died Tuesday after his cigarette sparked a fire fueled by his oxygen tank in his living room, Las Vegas Fire and Rescue spokesman Tim Szymanski said.

The man’s wife came home from work about 5:30 p.m. to their duplex in the 6100 block of Daisy Petal Street to find her husband dead on the floor. She had just seen him alive and well earlier that day, Szymanski said.

The man, who was in his late-60s, had been smoking while using his medical oxygen tank when it caught fire, Szymanski said. He tried to work his way to the kitchen, but didn’t make it.

Fire investigators determined that the fire appeared to singe the man’s lungs, causing him to suffocate, Szymanski said. He did not have any signs of burns. The fire was ruled accidental, Szymanski said.

No damage was done to the home.

This was the third fatal fire of the year in Las Vegas. All three incidents have involved a person in their late 60s dying in a fire caused by careless smoking.

Join the Discussion:

Check this out for a full explanation of our conversion to the LiveFyre commenting system and instructions on how to sign up for an account.

Full comments policy