Las Vegas Sun

July 24, 2014

Currently: 89° — Complete forecast | Log in | Create an account

Parents toss children to neighbor on ground, then safely escape apartment fire

Apartment fire

A neighbor caught two children thrown by their parents from a burning apartment early Friday morning, fire officials said.

Clark County firefighters responded and then rescued the husband and wife who had become trapped in a back bedroom. The fire broke out about 2:30 a.m. at the Conejo Villas Apartments, 5060 W. Hacienda Ave., near Decatur Boulevard.

Firefighters arrived to find heavy smoke and flames near the front entrance of a second-floor apartment where the family lived, officials said. As crews attacked the fire from the front, a fire captain and engineer used a ladder to rescue the couple through a back bedroom window.

The fire, which was caused by combustibles stored too close to a water heater, did not extend to neighboring apartment units. Fire officials recommend keeping items such as paper, clothes and wood at least 3 feet from a water heater.

Join the Discussion:

Check this out for a full explanation of our conversion to the LiveFyre commenting system and instructions on how to sign up for an account.

Full comments policy

Previous Discussion: 1 comment so far…

Comments are moderated by Las Vegas Sun editors. Our goal is not to limit the discussion, but rather to elevate it. Comments should be relevant and contain no abusive language. Comments that are off-topic, vulgar, profane or include personal attacks will be removed. Full comments policy. Additionally, we now display comments from trusted commenters by default. Those wishing to become a trusted commenter need to verify their identity or sign in with Facebook Connect to tie their Facebook account to their Las Vegas Sun account. For more on this change, read our story about how it works and why we did it.

Only trusted comments are displayed on this page. Untrusted comments have expired from this story.

  1. I think we need some fire safety classes on our local stations and news sources. There have been a lot of fires lately that seem to have been preventable or their havoc could have been lessened by preventative measure.

    Thank God this family is ok.