Wednesday, Sept. 12, 2012 | 8:49 a.m.
Las Vegas firefighters put out a fire early Wednesday in the steeple of the Wee Kirk O’ the Heather wedding chapel downtown, officials said.
At 4:02 a.m., a passerby reported smoke coming from the chapel at 231 S. Las Vegas Blvd., Las Vegas Fire & Rescue spokesman Tim Szymanski said.
Firefighters climbed to the metal steeple and cut a small hole in it before dousing the flames with foam, officials said.
The fire was caused by an electrical malfunction, Szymanski said. Damage is estimated at $5,000.