Las Vegas Sun

August 20, 2014

Currently: 77° — Complete forecast | Log in | Create an account

Air-conditioning unit on fourplex roof catches fire

Image

Courtesy Photo

Firefighters from the Clark County and Las Vegas fire departments quickly knocked down a fire Monday morning at the Sylvia Manor Apartments, 3325 Sylvia St. There were no injuries, though the fire caused about $10,000 in damages.

Apartment fire

A fire Monday morning in a ceiling-mounted air conditioning unit caused evacuation of fourplex in the eastern valley.

Personnel from the Clark County Fire Department and Las Vegas Fire & Rescue responded at 9:27 a.m. Monday to the fire at the Sylvia Manor Apartments, 3325 Sylvia St., near East Desert Inn and South Sandhill roads. Brown smoke was seen coming out of one of the apartments in a flat-roofed fourplex, officials said.

The fourplex was evacuated, and firefighters brought the fire under control in less than 10 minutes. A total of 32 firefighters responded.

There were no injuries.

An electrical issue in an air-conditioning unit sparked the fire and caused an estimated $10,000 in damages, Clark County fire officials said.

The occupant in one of the units was unable to return to the apartment due to the damage, officials said.

Join the Discussion:

Check this out for a full explanation of our conversion to the LiveFyre commenting system and instructions on how to sign up for an account.

Full comments policy