Las Vegas Sun

December 21, 2014

Currently: 44° — Complete forecast | Log in | Create an account

Attempt to break into store with torch sparks fire

Image

Courtesy Clark County Fire Department

Clark County firefighters responded to a blaze at a smoke shop at 3827 E. Sunset Road early Friday morning. The fire, which caused about $5,000 damage, apparently was started when burglars attempted to use a cutting torch to break into the business, officials said.

An attempt to break into a smoke shop with a cutting torch sparked a fire early this morning that caused about $5,000 damage, the Clark County Fire Department said.

Owners of the store, located in a strip mall at 3827 E. Sunset Road, near Sandhill Road, were alerted early this morning when the shop’s security alarm was activated. Upon arriving, they found smoke inside the shop and called 911, officials said.

The Clark County Fire Department responded at 2:09 a.m. and quickly extinguished the fire, which was located near the back door.

The fire department said the blaze was started when someone attempted to break in using a cutting torch.

No one was injured in the fire and no other businesses were damaged, officials said.

Metro Police is investigating the attempted burglary.

Join the Discussion:

Check this out for a full explanation of our conversion to the LiveFyre commenting system and instructions on how to sign up for an account.

Full comments policy