Las Vegas Sun

July 29, 2014

Currently: 96° — Complete forecast | Log in | Create an account

Ross Miller to spend $800,000 in federal funds on voter awareness campaign

If wall-to-wall television ads, media coverage, yard signs and campaign workers in front of your grocery store didn't clue you in something political might be going on, don't worry.

The state will spend $800,000 in federal money to tell you that there's an election coming in November and get some of the 600,000 to 700,000 unregistered Nevadans on the voting rolls.

On the heels of this month’s primary election with “abysmal” turnout this month, Nevada Secretary of State Ross Miller, a Democrat, will launch a campaign to raise awareness about the upcoming November election.

On a nearly party-line vote, a Legislative committee approved using the federal election funds for the campaign, which is being competitively bid.

"We want to get as many people registered and out to the polls as we can," said Secretary of State Ross Miller.

The office has issued a request for proposals for the nonpartisan voter registration campaign, which would run from August to Oct. 31.

One emphasis will be to get potential voters to use online registration, to either register for the first time or update their registration. The system was instituted in Clark County in September 2010, and will be instituted by other counties by August.

Republicans have used the online registration system more than Democrats, according to statistics.

About 9,000 voters have registered or updated their registration since it became available. Miller said this was below his expectations.

Republican lawmakers questioned who would be featured in the campaign.

Miller said that his office has contacted Republican Gov. Brian Sandoval's staff to see if he'd be willing to participate.

Sen. Barbara Cegavske, R-Las Vegas, questioned the need for a campaign.

"There isn’t a grocery store you can go to where there's not someone trying to get you to register," she said.

Join the Discussion:

Check this out for a full explanation of our conversion to the LiveFyre commenting system and instructions on how to sign up for an account.

Full comments policy

Previous Discussion: 2 comments so far…

Comments are moderated by Las Vegas Sun editors. Our goal is not to limit the discussion, but rather to elevate it. Comments should be relevant and contain no abusive language. Comments that are off-topic, vulgar, profane or include personal attacks will be removed. Full comments policy. Additionally, we now display comments from trusted commenters by default. Those wishing to become a trusted commenter need to verify their identity or sign in with Facebook Connect to tie their Facebook account to their Las Vegas Sun account. For more on this change, read our story about how it works and why we did it.

Only trusted comments are displayed on this page. Untrusted comments have expired from this story.

  1. I guess you can't make this stuff up. Governments are drowning in debt and yet can find $800,000 in an effort get uninitiated, uninformed and uncaring morons to register to vote? In my opinion, we're much better off if those lazy & ignorant dopes stay out of the process of deciding who's going to be running things. They'll only consider candidates who will promise them free things like the ignorant woman in Detroit who wanted her share of "Obama money." Meanwhile, the honest and productive among us will have to pay for those such as her getting a "free" lunch. Thanks, but no thanks.

  2. This is a Huge waste of Money.

    - But only Jerry Fink will find a way to slam President Obama over a LOCAL issue. Like I said - If there is a line at the Post Office, Jerry will blame President Obama. Ingrown Toenail? Jerry will...............