Sam Morris / Las Vegas Sun
Monday, Jan. 9, 2012 | 10:15 a.m.
- Pittsburgh transfer Khem Birch deciding between UNLV and Florida
- Break will allow UNLV basketball to prepare for long haul
- UNLV crushes Cal State Bakersfield with its depth in 89-57 victory
- Karam Mashour’s dunk gives UNLV a highlight to cherish all season
- 2011-12 UNLV Men's Basketball Schedule
- All UNLV Men's Basketball Coverage
The UNLV basketball team moved up five spots to No. 12 in the Associated Press and coaches' polls, both of which were released on Monday. It's the Rebels' highest ranking since the 1992-93 season.
The Rebels won one game last week, an 89-57 victory at Cal State Bakersfield. With a 16-2 overall record, UNLV is tied with Murray State (16-0) for the second-most victories for a Division I team in the country, trailing only Syracuse (17-0).
UNLV has won seven consecutive games and eight of its last nine in wrapping up a very successful non-conference season.
San Diego State, who hosts UNLV on Jan. 14 to open Mountain West Conference play, is ranked No. 22 in the AP poll, up two spots from last week. New Mexico didn't crack the top 25 but received the 30th-most votes in the country.