Las Vegas Sun

November 26, 2014

Currently: 46° — Complete forecast | Log in | Create an account

Family safe after fire guts apartment

Map

A family of five is unharmed after a fire started by a candle gutted their apartment Saturday morning, according to Las Vegas Fire and Rescue.

Firefighters said they received several calls at approximately 12:20 a.m. about a fire at an apartment at 4027 Silver Dollar Avenue, near Sahara Avenue and Valley View Boulevard.

Upon arrival, the fire department reported “flames were shooting out of every window.” Metro Police evacuated the entire apartment building.

Firefighters said it took 10 minutes to put out the fire. The three-bedroom apartment was completely destroyed, causing an estimated $60,000 worth of damage.

The residents told officials a candle was burning in one of the bedrooms where a person was sleeping. The fire was ruled accidental.

Two adults, two teens, one child and a dog were unharmed and the American Red Cross is assisting the family.

Join the Discussion:

Check this out for a full explanation of our conversion to the LiveFyre commenting system and instructions on how to sign up for an account.

Full comments policy