Currently: 77° | Complete forecast | Log in

Nick Diaz tests positive for marijuana at UFC 143

Nevada State Athletic Commission will hand down penalty in future meeting

Image

Sam Morris / Las Vegas Sun

Nick Diaz enter the arena for his interim welterweight championship bout against Carlos Condit Saturday, Feb. 4, 2012 at the Mandalay Bay Events Center. Condit won a unanimous decision and will likely face Georges St. Pierre in November.

UFC fighter suspended for drug use

KSNV coverage of UFC fighter Nick Diaz being suspended for testing positive for marijuana, Feb. 9, 2012.

The controversy surrounding last weekend’s UFC 143 main event added a new layer Thursday afternoon.

Nick Diaz tested positive for marijuana following his unanimous-decision loss to Carlos Condit, according to the Nevada State Athletic Commission. Keith Kizer, the commission’s executive director, confirmed rumors of the failed test in a press release.

Diaz will face disciplinary action at a future commission meeting. It’s the second time the former Strikeforce welterweight champion has tested positive for marijuana in Nevada.

"I am beyond disappointed that he tested positive for marijuana," UFC President Dana White said in a statement. "It is now in the hands of the Nevada State Athletic Commission.”

The commission also detected marijuana in Diaz’s system after a shocking submission victory over Takanori Gomi in a PRIDE event in 2007 at the Thomas & Mack Center. Diaz faced a six-month suspension for that infraction, and the commission overturned his win into a no contest.

Diaz could face a lengthier suspension for a second violation. It may not matter, however, as Diaz mentioned retirement after a close loss to Condit.

“He ran from me the whole time and kicked me with baby leg kicks,” Diaz said following the controversial decision. “That’s the way they want to play this game. I’m out of this (expletive).”

Contrary to those statements, the UFC appeared close to booking a rematch between Condit and Diaz after many fans noisily complained about the UFC 143 decision.

White tweeted Tuesday that both Condit and Diaz had agreed to a second meeting.

“Nick wanted the rematch the same night,” White tweeted.

The failed drug test halts those plans. Diaz won’t step into the octagon for the foreseeable future.

Case Keefer can be reached at 948-2790 or [email protected]. Follow Case on Twitter at twitter.com/casekeefer.

Join the Discussion:

Check this out for a full explanation of our conversion to the LiveFyre commenting system and instructions on how to sign up for an account.

Full comments policy

Previous Discussion: 2 comments so far…

Comments are moderated by Las Vegas Sun editors. Our goal is not to limit the discussion, but rather to elevate it. Comments should be relevant and contain no abusive language. Comments that are off-topic, vulgar, profane or include personal attacks will be removed. Full comments policy. Additionally, we now display comments from trusted commenters by default. Those wishing to become a trusted commenter need to verify their identity or sign in with Facebook Connect to tie their Facebook account to their Las Vegas Sun account. For more on this change, read our story about how it works and why we did it.

Only trusted comments are displayed on this page. Untrusted comments have expired from this story.

  1. Who cares! He said he was retiring anyway. Or was it the weed talking?

  2. I remember early on in the UFC when the fighters were typically well educated and carried themselves with class.

    Nowadays, it seems the UFC is plagued with thugs......

    I hope Dana does not let the league deteriorate into the equivalent of pit bull fighting....................