Las Vegas Sun

October 25, 2014

Currently: 66° — Complete forecast | Log in | Create an account

Mirage President Felix Rappaport resigns

Image

Steve Marcus

Mirage President Felix Rappaport

Felix Rappaport resigned today as president and chief operating officer of the Mirage, after 21 years with MGM Resorts International.

Rappaport is the second casino chief to leave MGM this month. Bill McBeath, president and COO of CityCenter announced his resignation on Dec. 3.

MGM Chief Executive Jim Murren said the company would immediately begin looking for a replacement. Corey Sanders, COO for MGM, would be assigned to work with the Mirage during the transition, Murren said.

"Felix has been the epitome of a hospitality leader," Murren said in a statement. "We thank him for his many years of dedicated service and successful leadership to the company and extend every best wish for success."

Rappaport, 60, did not announce his plans.

Growing up in Philadelphia, Rappaport took his first job at age 14 working in a men's clothing store making $25 a week. He eventually went into hotel management and moved to Las Vegas in the early 1990s. He has spent most of his career with MGM, where he worked in the executive offices of the MGM Grand, Luxor, Excalibur and New York-New York before moving to the Mirage.

He oversaw a massive renovation at the Luxor, while serving as president of that casino and the Excalibur, in early 2000s. Rappaport took over as president of the Mirage in September 2010, during a move of casino leadership that also sent Scott Sibella to the MGM Grand, Renee West to run the Luxor and Excalibur and promoted Chuck Bowling to president of Mandalay Bay.

Rappaport is a well-known foodie who oversaw the development of new nightclubs and restaurants at the Mirage.

Join the Discussion:

Check this out for a full explanation of our conversion to the LiveFyre commenting system and instructions on how to sign up for an account.

Full comments policy

Previous Discussion: 3 comments so far…

Comments are moderated by Las Vegas Sun editors. Our goal is not to limit the discussion, but rather to elevate it. Comments should be relevant and contain no abusive language. Comments that are off-topic, vulgar, profane or include personal attacks will be removed. Full comments policy. Additionally, we now display comments from trusted commenters by default. Those wishing to become a trusted commenter need to verify their identity or sign in with Facebook Connect to tie their Facebook account to their Las Vegas Sun account. For more on this change, read our story about how it works and why we did it.

Only trusted comments are displayed on this page. Untrusted comments have expired from this story.

  1. It's a bloodbath. Why is it happening? Who is orchestrating these firings?

  2. My names not Rappaport.

  3. Maybe the guy aged out. Like it or not, 60 is getting kind of old in a town like Vegas. Especially for a man in his position. A more youthful 40 something year old will probably take his place