Las Vegas Sun

December 22, 2014

Currently: 47° — Complete forecast | Log in | Create an account

Fire breaks out at Las Vegas senior-living complex

Updated Thursday, Aug. 2, 2012 | 11:50 p.m.

Residents of a Las Vegas seniors apartment complex safely evacuated after a mattress caught fire Thursday afternoon in one unit, fire officials said.

Las Vegas Fire and Rescue crews responded at 2:19 p.m. to the Clark Towers Apartments, a senior-living complex at 2701 Clark Towers Court, near Sahara Avenue and Valley View Boulevard.

Fire department spokesman Tim Szymanski said multiple people reported the fire in a top-floor unit of the two-story building. Firefighters arrived to find smoke coming from the apartment, he said.

The woman living there told authorities a mattress in her studio apartment caught fire, and the flames spread quickly, despite her efforts to extinguish the blaze, Szymanski said.

She escaped without injury, along with other residents, some of whom needed help evacuating, Szymanski said.

The fire caused $15,000 in damage, he said. Szymanski said investigations ruled the fire accidental. Fire officials said careless smoking likely caused the fire.

Join the Discussion:

Check this out for a full explanation of our conversion to the LiveFyre commenting system and instructions on how to sign up for an account.

Full comments policy