Published Monday, April 16, 2012 | 10:09 p.m.
Updated Monday, April 16, 2012 | 11:33 p.m.
U.S. 95 near the Vegas Drive overpass reopened Monday night following a two-hour long incident where a man threatening to jump to his death was taken into custody by Metro Police.
The highway had been shut down in both directions near the overpass as authorities negotiated with a man threatening to kill himself, according to Nevada Highway Patrol.
Emergency responders received the call around 9 p.m., said trooper Loy Hixson of the Nevada Highway Patrol.
Metro Police set up a cushion truck below the overpass in an effort to protect the man as negotiators talked with the man, Hixson said.
U.S. 95 southbound traffic was diverted to Lake Mead Boulevard and northbound traffic was rerouted to Summerlin Parkway, Hixson said.
The highway reopened around 11:10 p.m., he said.
This was the second time today someone had attempted or threatened suicide on a valley freeway overpass.
A man attempting to jump off Interstate 215 early today was taken into custody by Metro Police, police said.