Tuesday, Sept. 27, 2011 | 3:59 p.m.
- You need to upgrade your Flash Player
Las Vegas Sun sports reporters Case Keefer and Ray Brewer go across the valley and break down the upcoming week of high school. They give their picks on every game and spend extra time debating Del Sol vs. Liberty and Servite (Calif.) vs. Bishop Gorman.
The Moapa Valley High football team showed last Friday what several supporters of the Overton school have long argued: the Pirates are one of the state’s best.
Moapa Valley rallied from a 10-point first-quarter deficit against perennial 4A classification power Del Sol for a 49-40 victory — a signature win of sorts to prove they belong to be mentioned with the state’s best. Fittingly, the 3A classification school debuts this week in the Sun’s top-10 rankings.
While wins against struggling Chaparral and Sunrise Mountain aren’t overly impressive, a victory against Del Sol speaks volumes. Del Sol in 2009 was the state runner-up and from 2006 to 2009 played in the Sunrise Regional title game.
Yes, Moapa Valley is that good — and no longer just a 3A classification power. They are have earned the respect against all Nevada teams, regardless of enrollment size.
1. Bishop Gorman (5-1): Gorman will be back in the national spotlight Friday when it hosts Servite High of Anaheim, Calif. The Gaels have outscored their last four opponents 244-13 in proving they are the class of Southern Nevada high school football. Up next: Friday vs. Servite.
5. Liberty (3-1): The defending Southeast Division champion Patriots have a crucial game this week against Del Sol in their title defense. Up next: Saturday vs. Del Sol.
6. Cheyenne (4-0): The revival of the Cheyenne program is one of the best stories this season. Up next: Saturday vs. Palo Verde.
7. Moapa Valley (4-1): It’s rare to have a 3A classification team in the rankings, but the Pirates are proving they can play with the state’s best. Up next: Saturday vs. Faith Lutheran.
8. Del Sol (3-1): Del Sol drops five spots in the rankings after giving up 49 points to Moapa Valley. Simply inexcusable. Up next: Saturday at Liberty.
9. Canyon Springs (2-2): Playing Chaparral and Sunrise Mountain in consecutive weeks would give any team confidence. Up next: Saturday at Sunrise Mountain.