Friday, May 6, 2011 | 7 p.m.
Manny Pacquiao and Shane Mosley may have faced off in one of the least intimidating stare-down photos ever Friday at the MGM Grand Garden Arena.
After Pacquiao and Mosley both made weight for their WBO welterweight title fight, which will air via pay-per-view at 6 p.m. Saturday, the two approached each other for their pose and broke into laughter.
Neither Pacquiao, who weighed in at 145 pounds, nor Mosley, who came in at 147, have shown any disdain toward each other while promoting their fight. They have shared a mutual respect and continued to commend each other at the weigh-in.
“I believe Shane Mosley is a strong fighter, a good fighter,” Pacquiao said after making weight. “I had to train hard and focus on the fight.”
Most of the approximately 4,000 fans at the weigh-in — some of whom waited more than six hours to snag the best possible seat — were there to cheer on Pacquiao.
The demand was so overwhelming that no one else was allowed in and the arena’s doors were shut about 2:20 p.m., 40 minutes before the fighters were scheduled to tip the scales.
The pro-Pacquiao crowd initially booed any mention of Mosley’s name, before the card’s promoter and Top Rank President Bob Arum urged otherwise.
“Let’s give credit where credit is due,” Arum said. “In this era, one of the great, great fighters has been ‘Sugar’ Shane Mosley.”
Mosley knows Pacquiao is the one attracting all the attention and hype for the fight. He doesn’t mind playing second fiddle.
“None of this is getting under my skin,” Mosley said. “It’s going to be an exciting fight. The whole world needs to watch this.”
Sportscaster James Brown served as the master of ceremonies at the weigh-in and spoke positively about the lack of trash talk between Pacquiao and Mosley. The fans showed their agreement by letting out a round of applause.
The kindness between Pacquiao and Mosley is unique in the boxing world but clearly something that comes naturally to both of them. Before they went their separate ways, they gave each other a quick embrace.
The next time Pacquiao and Mosley see each other, their intent will be more malicious.
All eight fighters on the pay-per-view main card made weight. The full weigh-in results are posted below.
World Welterweight Championship Bout: Manny Pacquiao (145) vs. Shane Molsey (147)
World Super Bantamweight Championship Bout: Wilfredo Vazquez, Jr. (122) vs. Jorge Arce (122)
Super Middleweight Bout: Kelly Pavlik (170) vs. Alfonso Lopez (169)
Continental Americas Super Lightweight Championship Bout: Mike Alvarado (139) vs. Ray Narh (140)
- Wilfredo Vazquez, Jorge Arce will look to live up to talk on Pacquiao undercard
- Kelly Pavlik seeks fresh start on Pacquiao vs. Mosley undercard
- Manny Pacquiao fight week means big business for struggling Las Vegas
- Notebook: Manny Pacquiao asks fans to wear yellow to Saturday’s title fight
- Manny Pacquiao’s schedule outside of the ring keeps him focused on fighting
- Shane Mosley out to prove he still packs a powerful punch against Manny Pacquiao
- Taxicab Authority OKs more cabs for Pacquiao fight weekend
- Manny Pacquiao impresses trainer with dynamite camp
- Few tickets left for Manny Pacquiao, Shane Mosley fight at MGM Grand
- Fans line up to see Manny Pacquiao on promotional tour
- Past stories, photos, video on Pacquiao