Las Vegas Sun

September 18, 2014

Currently: 82° — Complete forecast | Log in | Create an account

Home News

Get more news and info from where you live »

Political controversy’ prompts firm to withdraw from North Las Vegas deal

An international design and consulting firm has withdrawn from contract negotiations with the city of North Las Vegas to develop a master plan to entice international corporations to the city.

The announcement comes days after state Senate Majority Leader Steven Horsford, D-North Las Vegas, offered stern comments about the $500,000 contract, scheduled for an April 6 city council vote.

Gensler senior associate Rob Cousins, who recently gave a presentation to the North Las Vegas Chamber of Commerce, sent a letter to city officials Tuesday morning explaining the company's decision to withdraw its proposal, citing a “present political controversy” that wasn't explained. Calls to Gensler weren't immediately returned.

“Should the political situation be resolved at some point in the future, we would be happy to resume discussions with the City of North Las Vegas as to how to move forward in a productive manner,” Cousins wrote.

The city council approved contract negotiations with Gensler in late January. The vote was 4-1 to pursue the contract, with Mayor Shari Buck as the lone dissenter. Buck and Horsford have been critical of the city spending $500,000 on plans while it is struggling to make ends meet.

Sun columnist Jon Ralston reported Friday that Horsford, whose district includes part of the city, was “incensed” about the cost and manner in which the contract was pursued, citing emails between a North Las Vegas lobbyist and city officials. Buck has called the proposal “a very pie-in-the-sky boondoggle.”

North Las Vegas was planning to pay for the Gensler contract using $250,000 from redevelopment funds and $250,000 from the city's general fund, specifically from a deferred communication project by the North Las Vegas Police Department.

According to emails, Horsford raised issue with Unibex Global Corporation, a local developer that has a public-private partnership with the city to develop its master plan. Unibex owner and North Las Vegas resident Otis Harris had suggested city officials meet with Gensler for the project last year.

The city did not use a request for proposal process to seek other architecture firms for the project, a point Horsford honed in on. City officials have said Gensler was chosen because it is a world-renowned corporation that has re-envisioned cities around the world, such as Abu Dhabi and Sydney.

Unibex was not mentioned in the Gensler contract, which was being finalized before Gensler pulled out, and no money will be going to Harris, city officials said.

Councilman Richard Cherchio, a proponent of the project, said he hopes Gensler will return to the table after the primary election April 5.

“It’s unfortunate with the political environment that Gensler stepped back to wait,” Cherchio said. “North Las Vegas needs to create its own identity. We don’t have to be a bedroom community to Las Vegas.”

Join the Discussion:

Check this out for a full explanation of our conversion to the LiveFyre commenting system and instructions on how to sign up for an account.

Full comments policy

Previous Discussion: 5 comments so far…

Comments are moderated by Las Vegas Sun editors. Our goal is not to limit the discussion, but rather to elevate it. Comments should be relevant and contain no abusive language. Comments that are off-topic, vulgar, profane or include personal attacks will be removed. Full comments policy. Additionally, we now display comments from trusted commenters by default. Those wishing to become a trusted commenter need to verify their identity or sign in with Facebook Connect to tie their Facebook account to their Las Vegas Sun account. For more on this change, read our story about how it works and why we did it.

Only trusted comments are displayed on this page. Untrusted comments have expired from this story.

  1. North Vegas is not Dhabi or Sydney. Much different type cities.

    Look local for people that know the town and live in the town. First hand knowledge is going to be better then big money firms from outside of the area.

    Find someone that will work on bringing business to your town without charging you up front. Let them in on what they bring to you. Going to get a much better return that way.

    Paying upfront for things like this is like paying for sex upfront, all you know is you are going to get screwed. ;-)

  2. Lets solve the Gang Problems in NLV and open up completed recreation facilities before we go Blue Skying Pipe Dreams on how we can be at the same level as Sydney Australia? Really? How about getting the Trash Picked Up !

  3. Sorry, but the City of North Las Vegas has no real world attractions, other than plenty of housing, and some mighty nice folks. It is NOT known for glamour or celebrities. Spending that much money now to reshape the image of the City of North Las Vegas, is money ill spent for the moment. Some are trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. Sorry folks.

  4. One has to look at the North Las Vegas Councilman who voted to approve this unreasonable spending deal.

  5. Note that the vote on this matter went against Buck four to one. Think she was a happy camper?!
    North Las Vegas has the capacity now to grow into somnething more than the "North Town" image the present Mayor Buck has for the City.
    Cherchio and the other three councilmembers voting for the Gensler contract have a long term vision for this City which unfortunately Mayor Buck does not share. If the residents of North Las Vegas want to unleash the potential in the City for the future, then clealy Buck has to go. She will stiffle the City's future. In this instance the convincing majority of the council knows best. Gensler is the best at the type of planning they do, and success follows them.