Las Vegas Sun

July 23, 2014

Currently: 109° — Complete forecast | Log in | Create an account

Home News

Get more news and info from where you live »

North Las Vegas pursues master plan to lure new businesses

Shari Buck

Shari Buck

Richard Cherchio

Richard Cherchio

The North Las Vegas City Council tentatively approved spending $500,000 to develop a business-focused master plan to help convince companies to set up shop in the city.

Details of a contract with Gensler — an architecture and consulting firm that designed CityCenter for MGM Resorts International — must be worked out before the council votes on final approval.

The idea behind the agreement, officials said, is to create a clear, city-wide master plan that can be shown to Fortune 500 companies around the world to attract them to North Las Vegas.

Part of that contract will give officials renderings they can present to pique business interest in an area often overshadowed by Las Vegas and Henderson.

It’s a feasibility study, said Rob Cousins, senior associate for Gensler. Companies want to know if and why they should move to North Las Vegas, he said.

“A picture is worth a thousand words,” Cousins said. “If you give someone a written report, they won’t read it. If you give them 10 photos of what the city will look like...they get excited.”

The city council voted 4-1 to pursue a contract, with Mayor Shari Buck as the single dissenter. Buck called the proposal “a very pie-in-the-sky boondoggle.”

“Here we are, we’ve laid people off, closed our parks and recreation, we’ve closed our libraries and now all of a sudden we can find $500,000?” she said.

“I’m really surprised that this council is even considering this,” she said. “I’m very, very much against it.”

Buck also said she worried that the city hadn’t looked at other firms and selected Gensler without pursuing possibly cheaper options.

Councilman Richard Cherchio said the decision wasn’t reached “willy-nilly.”

“We can’t be fearful,” Cherchio said. “We have to start moving this city forward.”

The funds would be made available pending the council’s final approval of the contract, to be set at a later meeting.

Join the Discussion:

Check this out for a full explanation of our conversion to the LiveFyre commenting system and instructions on how to sign up for an account.

Full comments policy

Previous Discussion: 1 comments so far…

Comments are moderated by Las Vegas Sun editors. Our goal is not to limit the discussion, but rather to elevate it. Comments should be relevant and contain no abusive language. Comments that are off-topic, vulgar, profane or include personal attacks will be removed. Full comments policy. Additionally, we now display comments from trusted commenters by default. Those wishing to become a trusted commenter need to verify their identity or sign in with Facebook Connect to tie their Facebook account to their Las Vegas Sun account. For more on this change, read our story about how it works and why we did it.

Only trusted comments are displayed on this page. Untrusted comments have expired from this story.

  1. Mayor Buck is Correct. A New Rec Center on Centennial with no funds to open it. A new regional park on Craig Road with no funds to open it. High crime rates and not enough police to safeguard the public.
    You can show them all the pictures you want, however before they invest they will come to look around. Reviewing the lack of existing City Planning, Road Systems, Crime and Quality of life issues in this community - North Las Vegas is not ready for prime time.
    Solve the Crime, Education and Quality of Life Issues and employers will investigate on their own.
    Stop wasting the limited amount of money available.