Wednesday, Dec. 7, 2011 | 1:10 p.m.
- UFC 137 victory leads Nick Diaz to title shot against Georges St. Pierre
- UFC 137 live blog: Nick Diaz successfully picks apart B.J. Penn in octagon return
- Even in his absence, Georges St. Pierre is at the forefront of UFC 137
- Nick Diaz saga continues as UFC 137 nears
- Georges St. Pierre out of UFC 137 with knee injury
- Nick Diaz’s disappearing act leads to Carlos Condit’s title shot
- Dana White: ‘Nick Diaz obviously can’t handle the pressure of a main event’
- Georges St. Pierre vs. Nick Diaz slated for UFC 137 in Las Vegas
- UFC coverage
- All MMA/boxing coverage
An injury has forced UFC welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre out of another bout.
UFC President Dana White announced through his twitter account Wednesday morning that St. Pierre tore his ACL and would miss his scheduled UFC 143 championship defense against Nick Diaz. Carlos Condit (25-7 MMA, 4-1 UFC) and Diaz (26-7 MMA, 7-4 UFC) will now headline Las Vegas’ annual Super Bowl weekend card.
Condit and Diaz will face off for the UFC interim welterweight title. The championship belts will be unified when St. Pierre returns from injury, which White indicated would take 10 months.
It’s the second scheduled fight in the last six months that St. Pierre has pulled out of with an injury. St. Pierre sprained his MCL a week before UFC 137, where he was supposed to meet Condit in the main event.
After defeating B.J. Penn at UFC 137, Diaz called out St. Pierre and accused him of not being seriously hurt. An enraged St. Pierre requested a bout with Diaz instead of Condit and it was immediately announced as the Super Bowl weekend headliner.
The UFC’s most notable current grudge match will have to wait a while longer.