Las Vegas Sun

April 20, 2014

Currently: 68° — Complete forecast | Log in | Create an account

Las Vegas Sands disputes businessman’s role in landing Macau contract

Image

Left: Plaintiff Richard Suen appears in District Court Thursday, April 17, 2008. Right: Las Vegas Sands Corp. Chairman Sheldon Adelson gives testimony during the a trial resulting from a lawsuit by Suen. (Photos by Leila Navidi/Las Vegas Sun)

CARSON CITY – An attorney for Hong Kong businessman Richard Suen says his services to Las Vegas Sands Corp. were worth more than $48 million in helping to clear the way for the company to build two casinos in the lucrative Macau market.

Suen attorney Todd Bice told the Nevada Supreme Court on Thursday that Sands chairman Sheldon Adelson once offered the businessman $100 million. The offer, however, was withdrawn because of concerns about regulations from the Nevada Gaming Control Board and the Internal Revenue Service.

But Sands attorney David Frederick, Adelson and former Sands President William Weidner argued Suen “did virtually nothing” to aid the Las Vegas company in getting a gaming permit from the Macau government.

Frederick is asking the state’s high court to reverse a Clark County District Court verdict and grant a judgment in favor of Sands, order a new trial or reduce the amount of the award.

A Las Vegas jury spent 29 days in 2008 hearing evidence and decided to award $43.8 million to Suen. With prejudgment interest, the payment now would be $58.6 million.

Former justices Bob Rose and Miriam Shearing sat in Thursday for Chief Justice Ron Parraguirre and Justice Kristina Pickering, who had disqualified themselves.

Bice said Sands executives were the ones who sought help from Suen, a 30-year businessman. They said Suen arranged “incredible meetings” with the vice premier of China. From that meeting, Sands was awarded the franchise for two casinos by Macau’s Chief Executive Edmund Ho, Bice said.

Bice said Suen never met Ho but he contends Suen and his friends helped to advance Sands’ proposal.

“(Suen) introduced them to the right people,” Bice argued.

Frederick told the court that China didn’t interfere in Macau affairs related to the gaming matter. There was no evidence at trial that the vice premier of China sought to use his influence in behalf of Sands, he said.

Macau is a “special administrative region” of China and the law forbids China from interfering in the Macau government except on issues of foreign affairs and national defense.

Frederick outlined Nevada’s law on “unjust enrichment.” In this case, he said, there was no formal contract between Sands and Suen.

Bice said, however, there was a “legal relationship” between the two.

Sands, which owns the Sands Expo and Convention Center and the Venetian and Palazzo hotel-casinos in Las Vegas, also owns the Sands Macao and the Venetian Macao.

Frederick told the court that Clark County District Judge Michelle Leavitt, who presided at the 2008 trial, should not have permitted into evidence the offer of $100 million to Suen.

Asked by the court if he thought Suen was worth $48 million, Bice replied he is worth more than $48 million and Sheldon Adelson offered him $100 million for his help.

The court will rule later.

Join the Discussion:

Check this out for a full explanation of our conversion to the LiveFyre commenting system and instructions on how to sign up for an account.

Full comments policy

Previous Discussion: 4 comments so far…

Comments are moderated by Las Vegas Sun editors. Our goal is not to limit the discussion, but rather to elevate it. Comments should be relevant and contain no abusive language. Comments that are off-topic, vulgar, profane or include personal attacks will be removed. Full comments policy. Additionally, we now display comments from trusted commenters by default. Those wishing to become a trusted commenter need to verify their identity or sign in with Facebook Connect to tie their Facebook account to their Las Vegas Sun account. For more on this change, read our story about how it works and why we did it.

Only trusted comments are displayed on this page. Untrusted comments have expired from this story.

  1. One hand washes the other...

  2. YAWN

  3. The 3 Rio tinto execs are learning about Chinese justice, one day at a time...so is the US Geologist recently convicted. Don't they still have the death penalty for serious financial crime in China?

    When these billionaire Benedict Arnold's come crying for the USA to protect them, the US Government should not spend one penny helping them.

    You lie down with dogs you are going to get fleas...
    MAO: "Political Power grows out of a barrel of a gun."
    People are known by the company they keep.

    Good Luck...

  4. There is an old law called "The Statute of Frauds". It said that no contract for more than $500 is valid unless it is written, and signed by the party who is supposed to be charged for the service.

    I have to ask if some Sands executives signed a slew of written contracts with these clowns, or if this is just a continuing shake down operation by Chinese nationals who think they can convince Sands that they will lose their gambling sub-franchise in Macao unless they pay the shake down artists?

    Some clear reporting on this point would be appreciated. Do these men claim them have written contracts with Sands?