Friday, Oct. 29, 2010 | 2:05 a.m.
State and city offices and schools will be closed on Friday in observance of Nevada Day, a state holiday to celebrate Nevada’s admission as the 36th state on Oct. 31, 1864.
The holiday has been recognized since 1939, but the state Legislature voted in 1999 to move it to the last Friday in October.
• All public and private schools, including Nevada State College, the College of Southern Nevada and the University of Nevada Las Vegas.
• The Department of Motor Vehicles will be closed Friday and Saturday.
• Municipal offices, including city and county agencies. Parks and recreation facilities in Henderson and Clark County will be closed.
• Municipal and state courts. Federal courts will remain open.
• The post office and utility providers such as Southwest Gas, Nevada Power and Republic Service of Nevada will be open as usual.
• For the first time in 15 years, tours of former Lt. Gov. Lonnie Hammargren’s house, a Nevada Day rite of passage for Las Vegans, will be cancelled.