Wednesday, Oct. 13, 2010 | 2:05 a.m.
- You need to upgrade your Flash Player
Las Vegas Sun reporters Case Keefer and Ray Brewer take a closer look at this week's slate of high school football games, including rivalry contests between Las Vegas-Rancho, Chaparral-Eldorado and Basic-Foothill. The fellas also discuss Liberty's slow starts, Gorman's domination and the lack of quality long snappers. They will also have their weekly picks.
The Legacy High football team is back in the Sun's top 10 high-school football rankings after picking up impressive victories in consecutive weeks.
The Longhorns, who lost three of their first four games, struggled early with several first-time varsity performers in key positions. Legacy went undefeated in the regular season last year and won the Northwest Division crown, but virtually every starter from that team graduated.
However, the Longhorns never wavered in their philosophy of establishing the run and letting their athletes make plays. Running back Jordan Ireland, for instance, rushed for 221 yards and three touchdowns last week in a 28-21 victory against Basic. Two weeks ago, they beat league foe Cimarron-Memorial in getting back in the thick of the Northwest playoff race.
Here are the rest of the rankings, which are complied weekly by the Sun's Ray Brewer.
1.Bishop Gorman (5-2) — Gorman has given up only six points in four Southwest Division games. Up next: 7 p.m. Friday against Spring Valley.
2. Palo Verde (7-0) — Thankfully for the rest of the Northwest Division, Palo Verde has a bye this week. Up next: 7 p.m. Sept. 22 at Faith Lutheran.
4 Liberty (5-1) — Liberty is the best second-half team in Southern Nevada. Up next: 7 p.m. Friday against Coronado.
5. Foothill (7-0) — Raise your hand if you had Foothill undefeated in mid-October. Up next: 7 p.m. Friday at Silverado.
9. Legacy (3-3) — Legacy has won consecutive games against quality opponents after dropping three of its initial four contests. Up next: 7 p.m. Friday at Mojave.
10. Desert Pines (3-3) — Desert Pines has surrendered just 12 points in winning its last three games. Up next: 7 p.m. Friday at Sunrise Mountain.
OUT Centennial (4-3) and Basic (4-3) — Basic dropped its second straight game last week; Centennial lost a key Northwest Division game against Cimarron-Memorial.