Las Vegas Sun

April 23, 2014

Currently: 65° — Complete forecast | Log in | Create an account

House fire injures woman, kills pet dog

House fire

One dog was killed and one person sustained minor smoke inhalation injuries Wednesday morning in a Northeast Las Vegas house fire. The fire, which occurred at 200 Elliot Ave., near the intersection of Losee Road and Lake Mead Boulevard, at about 11 a.m., was caused by food cooking unattended on the kitchen stove, fire officials said. One adult and two teens were home a the time of the fire, officials said. Fire officials said the adult woman went into the bedroom to wrap Christmas presents and lost track of time. The house then filled with smoke, officials said, before the woman and the teens were helped out of the home by neighbors. There were four dogs living in the home. One was injured, and one died, officials said. Fire officials said the home, which sustained about $85,000 in damage, did not have any smoke alarms or sprinklers. It took firefighters fewer than 10 minutes to extinguish the fire, officials said.

Join the Discussion:

Check this out for a full explanation of our conversion to the LiveFyre commenting system and instructions on how to sign up for an account.

Full comments policy