Friday, April 9, 2010 | 10:44 a.m.
One of two men accused of beating and robbing former Oakland Raiders wide receiver Javon Walker pleaded guilty Friday to charges of robbery and kidnapping on the eve of a trial scheduled to start next week.
Arfat Fadel, 32, pleaded guilty to one count of robbery, one count of second-degree kidnapping and one count of conspiracy to commit robbery in connection with the attack on Walker, who was found unconscious and injured in the morning hours of June 16, 2008, near Winnick Avenue and Koval Lane about a block from the Las Vegas Strip.
The trial of his co-defendant, 42-year-old Deshawn Thomas, is expected to proceed as planned, prosecutors said Friday. Jury selection will begin Tuesday in the courtroom of District Court Judge Doug Smith.
Walker is expected to testify and could take the stand as early as Wednesday, prosecutors said.
The range of sentencing for Fadel is two to 15 years on the robbery and kidnapping charges and one to six on the conspiracy charge. Prosecutors will ask the judge to run the sentences concurrently as part of a plea agreement.
Police said $3,000 and jewelry worth about $100,000 was taken from Walker, who was hospitalized for a concussion and injuries to his face.
Authorities said Walker was seen partying at the Body English nightclub at the Hard Rock Hotel in the evening hours of June 15 and early morning hours of June 16 before he willingly left in Fadel’s black Range Rover. He was found unconscious a few hours later.
Walker signed a six-year, $55 million contract with the Raiders in March 2008. He was let go from the team earlier this year.
Fadel and Thomas are being held at the Clark County Detention Center. Thomas is also in custody on another case on charges that include pandering, child abuse, living from the earnings of a prostitute and statutory sexual seduction, court records show. That case is set for trial in May.