Las Vegas Sun

October 30, 2014

Currently: 75° — Complete forecast | Log in | Create an account

courts:

Sentencing delayed for gunman in NY-NY shooting

Steven Zegrean scheduled to be sentenced Oct. 19 for 2007 shooting

Image

Justin M. Bowen

Steven Francis Zegrean, 53, stands during court proceedings on Sept. 16, the day he was supposed to be sentenced for a shooting at the New York-New York casino. He was sentenced Oct. 19 to 26 to 90 years in prison.

Updated Wednesday, Sept. 16, 2009 | 10:49 a.m.

The sentencing for a man convicted of injuring four people in a shootout at the New York-New York hotel-casino in July 2007 was delayed today until Oct. 19.

Steven Zegrean, 53, was arrested at the scene after firing 16 shots. His 9mm semi-automatic pistol jammed on the 17th bullet and Justin Lampert, an Army National Guardsman from North Dakota, took the opportunity to jump onto Zegrean’s back and wrestle him to the floor. Several others helped Lampert subdue Zegrean until police arrived.

Zegrean was convicted on 51 of 52 charges, including attempted murder and battery with a deadly weapon.

On Wednesday, Public Defender Lynn Avants inquired as to whether the state would want to drop the battery charges because they would have little effect on the overall sentencing. District Judge David Barker then ordered Avants to have any dismissal request ready within two weeks, giving time for Prosecutor Ravi Bawa to respond.

Bawa said he didn’t understand why Avants hadn’t filed a dismissal request before now. He said three victims flew to Las Vegas to see the case closed.

“I think people should file things in a timely manner,” Bawa said.

Of the four battery charges, Bawa said only one was with a deadly weapon.

“He [Zegrean] has so many counts for so many crimes,” Bawa said. “We’re asking for life. The longer the better.”

Zegrean had pleaded not guilty to all charges. Witnesses testified and video surveillance tapes were presented during his trial before his conviction.

Join the Discussion:

Check this out for a full explanation of our conversion to the LiveFyre commenting system and instructions on how to sign up for an account.

Full comments policy

Previous Discussion: comments so far…

Comments are moderated by Las Vegas Sun editors. Our goal is not to limit the discussion, but rather to elevate it. Comments should be relevant and contain no abusive language. Comments that are off-topic, vulgar, profane or include personal attacks will be removed. Full comments policy. Additionally, we now display comments from trusted commenters by default. Those wishing to become a trusted commenter need to verify their identity or sign in with Facebook Connect to tie their Facebook account to their Las Vegas Sun account. For more on this change, read our story about how it works and why we did it.

Only trusted comments are displayed on this page. Untrusted comments have expired from this story.

No trusted comments have been posted.