Las Vegas Sun

October 20, 2014

Currently: 87° — Complete forecast | Log in | Create an account

Small fire extinguished at Hard Rock Hotel

Updated Sunday, Sept. 13, 2009 | 5:42 p.m.

Map of Hard Rock Hotel & Casino

Hard Rock Hotel & Casino

4455 Paradise Road, Las Vegas

A small fire broke out Sunday afternoon at the Hard Rock Hotel & Casino.

The two-alarm fire, which is standard in hotel fires, was found after smoke was discovered at 3:52 p.m. coming through a wall, the Clark County Fire Department said. The fire started in a room that houses air conditioning units, near the roof.

Fire department spokesman Scott Allison said the fire was caused by the shorting out of the electrical components in one of the air conditioning units, which created a lot of smoke but no flames. Firefighters had to tear open the wall to get to the unit. The immediate area was evacuated.

A security officer was transported to a hospital for heat exhaustion, but is expected to recover quickly, Allison said.

No other injuries were reported. The incident took place in a new part of the hotel that is unoccupied and the fire alarms are not wired yet.

Join the Discussion:

Check this out for a full explanation of our conversion to the LiveFyre commenting system and instructions on how to sign up for an account.

Full comments policy

Previous Discussion: comment so far…

Comments are moderated by Las Vegas Sun editors. Our goal is not to limit the discussion, but rather to elevate it. Comments should be relevant and contain no abusive language. Comments that are off-topic, vulgar, profane or include personal attacks will be removed. Full comments policy. Additionally, we now display comments from trusted commenters by default. Those wishing to become a trusted commenter need to verify their identity or sign in with Facebook Connect to tie their Facebook account to their Las Vegas Sun account. For more on this change, read our story about how it works and why we did it.

Only trusted comments are displayed on this page. Untrusted comments have expired from this story.

No trusted comments have been posted.