Wednesday, Nov. 18, 2009 | 5:49 p.m.
A Las Vegas street gang member was sentenced today to 20 years in federal prison and five years of supervised release for conspiracy to murder a man during a 2004 shootout at a North Las Vegas apartment complex.
U.S. Attorney Daniel G. Bogden of Nevada said 22-year-old Charles Richard Jr., a member of a Las Vegas street gang known as Squad Up, was sentenced by U.S. District Judge Philip M Pro.
Richard pleaded guilty in July to conspiracy to murder in a racketeering enterprise and discharging a gun during and related to a crime of violence.
Richard was one of several gang members who authorities say organized an ambush-style attack on a group at the Buena Vista Apartments in North Las Vegas on Sept. 13, 2004. He was 16 at the time of the crime.
Witnesses saw Squad Up members passing out guns about a week before the attack after an argument over drug turf, court documents said. A co-defendant, Donnie Bryant, fired into the group of people first, causing them to flee into the gunfire from other attackers, court records said.
Another co-defendant, Jonathan Toliver, stood behind a building at the end of an alleyway and fired at the victims who were running from Bryant's gunfire. Gilbert Henry had a fatal shot to his side and four others were shot, including Jarbirey Carter and a woman babysitting at a nearby apartment. The babysitter was shot in the hand as she shielded three small children from gunshots.
Toliver and Bryant were convicted last year of violence in aid of a racketeering enterprise for the murder of Gilbert Henry and the attempted murders of others shot during the attack. Both were sentenced to life in prison.
The FBI, North Las Vegas Police and Metro Police investigated the crimes. Assistant U.S. Attorneys Kathleen Bliss and Nancy J. Koppe prosecuted the case.