Las Vegas Sun

April 17, 2014

Currently: 63° — Complete forecast | Log in | Create an account

Injured teen charged in man’s death after homemade bomb blast

Bomb blast

A 17-year-old boy recovering from injuries related to a pipe bomb blast was charged Monday with the death of a man killed in the same northeast valley blast.

Metro Police responded at 11:03 p.m. Saturday to a report that two men were injured when a homemade bomb detonated in a desert area near East San Miguel Avenue and Vornsand Drive. That location is west of the intersection of Las Vegas and Nellis boulevards.

Officers arrived to find the teen, identified as Mario Labrato, suffering from injuries to his right hand and arm. The second man, about 44 years old, was found in a desert area north of Puebla Street and east of Valmark Drive suffering from burns and trauma to his face and neck, police said.

Both were taken to a hospital, where the 44-year-old man died as a result of his injuries. Labrato is expected to recover, police said.

Authorities said a blast site and remains of an explosive or incendiary device were found nearby. Investigators allege the two men made the device and took it into the desert area, where it was detonated.

On Monday, an arrest warrant was issued for Labrato charging him with murder, possession of a component of explosive or incendiary device with intent to manufacture an explosive or incendiary device, possession of an explosive or incendiary device and willful wanton disregard with substantial bodily harm or death.

Labrato, of Southern California, was booked into the Clark County Detention Center. Bail hasn't been set.

The name of the 44-year-old victim hasn't been released pending positive identification and notification of family.

Anyone with information is being asked to call Metro homicide detectives at (702) 828-3521 or Crime Stoppers at (702) 385-5555.

Join the Discussion:

Check this out for a full explanation of our conversion to the LiveFyre commenting system and instructions on how to sign up for an account.

Full comments policy

Previous Discussion: comments so far…

Comments are moderated by Las Vegas Sun editors. Our goal is not to limit the discussion, but rather to elevate it. Comments should be relevant and contain no abusive language. Comments that are off-topic, vulgar, profane or include personal attacks will be removed. Full comments policy. Additionally, we now display comments from trusted commenters by default. Those wishing to become a trusted commenter need to verify their identity or sign in with Facebook Connect to tie their Facebook account to their Las Vegas Sun account. For more on this change, read our story about how it works and why we did it.

Only trusted comments are displayed on this page. Untrusted comments have expired from this story.

No trusted comments have been posted.