Tuesday, Jan. 27, 2009 | 8:52 a.m.
- Deliberations begin in strangling death trial (1-26-2009)
- Man tells his side in strangling death of ex-wife (1-23-2009)
- Attorney: Man charged in strangling was domestic violence victim (1-22-2009)
- Jury visits garage where Allainna McClain was found strangled (1-20-2009)
- Cause of death debated in fourth day of ex-wife strangling trial (1-17-2009)
- Testimony hones in on use of cane in McClain death (1-15-2009)
- Trial begins for man charged in strangling of ex-wife (1-13-2009)
- Trial delayed for man accused of ex-wife’s murder (10-2-2008)
- Man suspected of killing his wife is arrested when he shows up in court (4-1-2008)
A jury late Monday found Clifford McClain, 29, guilty of first degree murder in the death of his ex-wife in Las Vegas last year.
He was also found guilty on two counts of domestic violence battery and is facing a minimum of 20 years in prison and a maximum of life without parole, said Clark County District Attorney Phillip Smith.
At approximately 9:30 p.m. — four hours after it left the courtroom — the 12-member jury returned and delivered its verdict before a Clark County District Court courtroom that was somber and quiet, Smith said.
Clifford McClain was charged with murder in the death of his ex-wife, 24-year-old Allainna McClain, whose body was found at a home in Northwest Las Vegas on Feb. 17, 2008.
She was found in the garage by her mother-in-law and the Clark County Coroner ruled the death a homicide due to asphyxiation.
Prosecutors said throughout the two-week-long trial that Clifford McClain struck his ex-wife in the head with a wooden cane and then strangled her.
Clifford McClain testified on Fridaythat he was acting in self-defense and tried to prevent Allainna McClain from grabbing a knife during a heated argument.
Their feet became tangled, he said, and as the couple fell down, Allainna McClain's head struck a parked car and then the floor, he said.
The sentencing phase of the trial begins today.
Jeff O’Brien can be reached at 990-8957 or email@example.com.