Las Vegas Sun

January 28, 2015

Currently: 50° — Complete forecast | Log in | Create an account

Armored car robbery nets $36,000 at Palace Station, 2 sought

Updated Monday, Dec. 14, 2009 | 12:46 p.m.

Map of Palace Station Hotel & Casino

Palace Station Hotel & Casino

2411 W. Sahara Ave, Las Vegas

An armored car guard was robbed at gunpoint of about $36,000 this morning in front of the Palace Station Hotel & Casino.

Metro Police Officer Ramon Denby said authorities responded at 9:03 a.m. to the robbery in front of the casino. No one was injured during the confrontation.

Denby said two robbers confronted a guard as he was exiting the casino and the other guard was still in the armored vehicle.

Police reported in a news release that the robbers escaped with more than $1 million, but Station Casinos spokeswoman Lori Nelson said the suspects left with about $36,000 and several checks that already had been cashed.

Authorities earlier this morning said a witness reported hearing a gunshot fired, but police early this afternoon said a gunshot hasn't been confirmed.

Police say the two robbers drove away in a four-door gold or beige Dodge Stratus sedan, or possibly a Chrysler Sebring. The driver was described as white, wearing a white hoodie and light pants.

The second man was described as white, about 35 to 40 years old and clean-shaven with dark pants, a beige jacket and sunglasses.

Anyone with information is being asked to call the Metro Police robbery section at (702) 828-3591, or to remain anonymous call Crime Stoppers at (702) 385-5555.

One of the largest armored truck robberies in recent memory in Las Vegas was the Oct. 1, 1993, robbery involving Las Vegas resident Heather Tallchief, a former employee of Loomis Armored Inc., who helped an accomplice steal about $3 million from an armored van, then fled on a chartered jet.

Tallchief allegedly drove away from Circus Circus with the money while co-workers were inside filling ATM machines. She and her accomplice, Roberto Ignacio Zalaya-Solis, fled, disguised as senior citizens.

Tallchief surrendered herself to U.S. Marshals on Sept. 15, 2005, although Solis is still at large. She said she wanted her then 10-year-old son to have a normal life, authorities said. The boy was living with her fiance in Amsterdam at the time. She was sentenced to 63 months for the crime on March 30, 2006.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Join the Discussion:

Check this out for a full explanation of our conversion to the LiveFyre commenting system and instructions on how to sign up for an account.

Full comments policy

Previous Discussion: comments so far…

Comments are moderated by Las Vegas Sun editors. Our goal is not to limit the discussion, but rather to elevate it. Comments should be relevant and contain no abusive language. Comments that are off-topic, vulgar, profane or include personal attacks will be removed. Full comments policy. Additionally, we now display comments from trusted commenters by default. Those wishing to become a trusted commenter need to verify their identity or sign in with Facebook Connect to tie their Facebook account to their Las Vegas Sun account. For more on this change, read our story about how it works and why we did it.

Only trusted comments are displayed on this page. Untrusted comments have expired from this story.

No trusted comments have been posted.