Friday, Dec. 4, 2009 | 10:07 p.m.
- Search committee to narrow UNLV athletic director list (12-1-2009)
- Groundwork set in search for UNLV athletic director (11-4-2009)
- Chewing over UNLV’s search for an athletic director (9-8-2009)
- Three locals who might be in the running for UNLV job (9-8-2009)
- Former Rebels quarterback seeks 'ultimate' UNLV job (9-3-2009)
- Jerry Koloskie named UNLV’s interim AD (8-27-2009)
- UNLV leader weighs options in selecting athletic director (8-18-2009)
- With exit of athletic director, UNLV sports heavyweights ponder future (7-22-2009)
- Who might take Hamrick’s place? (7-21-2009)
- Let’s be frank: This royal alienator of an A.D. stayed step ahead of ax (7-21-2009)
- Hamrick leaves Las Vegas with 'mixed emotions' (7-20-2009)
UNLV President Neal Smatresk is denying floating reports that a deal has been reached with Arizona's Jim Livengood to become the school's new athletic director.
"No offers have been made, period," Smatresk, reached by phone on Friday evening, told the Sun. "And I would know.
"As soon as I make an offer, the world will know."
Earlier in the day, Smatresk said that a pool of between six and eight candidates was decided upon by the search committee, and a new AD could be announced sometime next week. He also said, however, that no hard deadline was set.
On Friday evening, the Arizona Daily Star's Greg Hansen reported that the Arizona post would "almost certainly" be coming open, with Livengood expected to accept the UNLV job over the weekend.
Livengood has been the Arizona AD since January 1994. UNLV's position came open this summer when Mike Hamrick left to take the same job at his alma mater — Marshall.
Currently, Jerry Koloskie is serving as UNLV's interim AD.
The Daily Star's report was accompanied by one from the Las Vegas Review-Journal which claimed that a deal was both offered to Livengood and accepted, citing an unnamed source.
Smatresk, who will ultimately make the AD hire, immediately shot the report down.
"Really," he said, "no decision has been made."