Las Vegas Sun

September 21, 2014

Currently: 75° — Complete forecast | Log in | Create an account

Pacman pays debts; case to be dropped

Sun Topics

Under the threat of arrest, suspended NFL player Adam “Pacman” Jones paid his gambling debts to Caesars Palace on Friday.

Just hours after the Sun reported the district attorney’s office was seeking a felony arrest warrant for Jones, his Las Vegas attorney delivered a $21,625 check to the office, bringing a quick halt to the criminal case.

The check covered the $20,000 in markers, two for $5,000 each and one for $10,000, that Caesars Palace provided to Jones in September. The payment included processing fees, which vary depending on the amount of each debt, to the district attorney’s bad check unit.

“We’re pleased that Mr. Jones has finally made restitution,” District Attorney David Roger said. “Now that he has fulfilled his obligations, we will be closing the case.”

Chief Deputy District Attorney Bernie Zadrowski, who runs the bad check unit, said he would be recalling his request for the arrest warrant. Justice of the Peace Joe Bonaventure was scheduled to consider signing the warrant Wednesday.

“When we see that restitution is paid in full, there’s no reason to continue the case,” Zadrowski said.

Jones’ Las Vegas attorney, Robert Langford, said he expected the case would be dropped after he delivered the check to Zadrowski’s office.

“This is business as usual for those of us who represent people accused of not paying back markers,” he said. “The only difference here is that instead of Adam Jones, this is Adam ‘Pacman’ Jones.”

Langford said he hopes the incident won’t hurt Jones’ efforts to get back into the NFL.

“It would be a crying shame if it did,” he said.

NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy said in an e-mail that the league is aware of the case and is looking into it.

Jones was suspended for the 2007 football season for violating the league’s personal conduct policy while a member of the Tennessee Titans. He was traded to the Dallas Cowboys last month.

In February 2007, Jones was involved in a scuffle that preceded a triple shooting at the Minxx topless club west of the Strip. One of the shooting victims, a bouncer at the club, was left paralyzed.

Jones struck a deal with the district attorney’s office to plead guilty to a gross misdemeanor disorderly conduct charge and cooperate in the investigation of the shooting. He is awaiting sentencing, which is expected to include one year of probation.

Jeff German is the Sun’s senior investigative reporter.

Join the Discussion:

Check this out for a full explanation of our conversion to the LiveFyre commenting system and instructions on how to sign up for an account.

Full comments policy

Previous Discussion: comments so far…

Comments are moderated by Las Vegas Sun editors. Our goal is not to limit the discussion, but rather to elevate it. Comments should be relevant and contain no abusive language. Comments that are off-topic, vulgar, profane or include personal attacks will be removed. Full comments policy. Additionally, we now display comments from trusted commenters by default. Those wishing to become a trusted commenter need to verify their identity or sign in with Facebook Connect to tie their Facebook account to their Las Vegas Sun account. For more on this change, read our story about how it works and why we did it.

Only trusted comments are displayed on this page. Untrusted comments have expired from this story.

No trusted comments have been posted.