Friday, July 18, 2008 | 2 a.m.
Sun Expanded Coverage
Summer League, Summer League, Sum-Sum-Summer League.
Six top-10 draft picks.
Eighty-nine D-League phenoms.
Fourteen or so guys who will wind up playing in Turkey.
One annual quiz.
Today is Day 8 of the NBA’s Vegas Summer League at Cox Pavilion and the Thomas & Mack Center, which seems like the perfect time to quiz local basketball fans on what they’ve witnessed so far.
Although, come to think of it, Thursday would have been a good day, too.
1. Dark clouds and a blast of cold air in the vicinity of Cox Pavilion are an indication that:
A: A thunderstorm is approaching.
B: Monsoon season is here.
C: Somebody just asked Larry Brown for an interview.
2. The best way to beat the Memphis Grizzlies’ Summer League team is:
A: Hold the ball.
B: Hold the lead.
C: Hold the Mayo.
3. That persistent clank ... clank ... clank ... sound you’ve been hearing means:
A: The air-conditioning unit at Cox Pavilion needs work.
B: The air-conditioning unit at the Thomas & Mack Center needs work.
C: The jump shot of the Spurs’ George Hill needs work.
4. The scariest thing at this week’s Summer League is:
A: O.J. Mayo’s talent.
B: Kevin Love’s determination.
C: Don Nelson’s legs.
5. Which expression has been used most often in conjunction with Trent Plaisted, the former BYU star, this week:
A: They’re gonna hate him in Detroit.
B: They’re gonna tolerate him in Fort Wayne.
C: They’re gonna love him in Istanbul.
6. The most frequently asked question at this year’s Vegas Summer League is:
A: Where’s my seat?
B: Where’s the restroom?
C: Where’s IUPUI?
7. Which of the following will get you a seat on the end of the bench at the Summer League?
A: Ten bucks.
B: Ten points.
C. Ten fouls.
8. If you hear somebody make mention of an Italian loafer it may mean:
A: Pat Riley is in the house, and he’s lost his left shoe.
B: Pat Riley is in the house, and he’s lost his right shoe.
C: Danilo Gallinari, the Knicks’ top draft choice, is in the house, and he’s trying to play defense.
9. When it comes right down to it at the Vegas Summer League, there’s really no explaining:
A: Why capacity crowds turn out for meaningless exhibition games.
B: Why some of these roster decisions couldn’t be made in training camp.
C: Why Clippers fans paint their faces.
10. Name the one guy not here who could make the Vegas Summer League even more interesting:
A: Derrick Rose, Chicago Bulls.
B: Michael Beasley, Miami Heat.
C: Tim Donaghy, Rikers Island.