**CANCELLED** Brookings Mountain West Lecture
**CANCELLED** "Applying Well-Being Metrics to Public Policy: Lessons from Experiments around the World"
Carol Graham, Senior Fellow, Foreign Policy and Global Economy and Development' Charles Robinson Chair in Foreign Policy Studies
The ongoing research activity of economists who study what constitutes happiness and make recommendations to governments about how best to increase it continues to receive global attention. The recent publication of the first World Happiness Report, commissioned for the United Nations General Assembly, argues that happiness can be measured objectively; that it differs systematically across societies and over time; that happiness has predictable causes and is correlated to specific things (such as wealth, income distribution, health, and political institutions); and government has the ability to create the right conditions for happiness to flourish. The U.S. National Academy of Sciences, meanwhile, has tasked a panel of experts (of which the author is a member) to explore which well-being metrics are most relevant for our own statistics. This presentation will highlight the metrics used to evaluate well-being or happiness and explore implications for public policy.
When: Thursday, Nov. 1, 2012
THIS EVENT HAS PASSED
Where: UNLV Greenspun Hall, 4505 Maryland Parkway, Las Vegas
Cost: Not available
Age limit: All ages
Event posted Aug. 15, 2012
Last updated Oct. 30, 2012
- Metro IDs former MLB all-star Jose Canseco as suspect in sexual assault
- Sausage at Firefly tests positive for salmonella; number of sick now at 294
- Fairgrounds on Las Vegas Strip will accommodate 64,000 for special events
- Photos: Wet ’n’ Wild water park is ready to make a splash in Las Vegas
- U.S. 95 reopened near Spaghetti Bowl after bomb scare
- Firefly owner enlists new PR firm after salmonella outbreak
- Preview: Light, Daylight and Eclipse at Mandalay Bay are ready to rumble
- Pedestrian struck and killed by truck along U.S. 95
- Higher dues for homeowners at stake in HOA legislation
- Las Vegas still leads U.S. in underwater homeowners, but crisis is subsiding
Penn Jillette finishes second but spins a lot of magic on 'All-Star Celebrity Apprentice' (2 Comments)
Live from the Billboard Music Awards: Swift wins Top Artist; Bieber wins Milestone Award; Prince burns in finale (2 Comments)
Locally owned and independent for more than 50 years.