Diversity and Ethnic Studies
As Las Vegas continues to grow, we encounter diverse faces, languages, and cultures in schools and communities. This lecture will discuss demographics, racial/ethnic history, and contemporary local
debates around these changes, including immigration. It will connect what is happening in Las Vegas to the nation and world around us as we take a closer look at these issues. Presented by: Anita Tijerina Revilla, an assistant professor in Women’s Studies at UNLV. She received her Ph.D. at the UCLA Graduate School of Education and Information Studies within the division of Social Sciences and
Comparative Education. Her areas of expertise include Latina/o Critical Theory, Critical Race Theory, Education, and 301). Chicana/Latina Feminist and Queer Studies. Her independent research focuses on the intersections of race, class, gender, and sexuality in the experiences of Chicanas/Latinas and other women of color, especially as it relates to feminist and Queer activism, social movements, and social justice education. Some of her most recent publications include: "Muxerista Pedagogy: Raza Womyn Teaching Social Justice Through Activism," published in The High School Journal, 87 (4), 2004, (80-94) and "Inmensa Fe en le Victoria [Immense Faith in Victory]: Social Justice Through Education."
Frontiers: A Journal of Women Studies, 24 (2&3), 2003, (282-301). Meeting will be in the conference room. Registration required. Register online at www.mypubliclibrary.com. This event is free and open to the public.
When: Thursday, Sept. 2, 2010
THIS EVENT HAS PASSED
Where: Green Valley Library, 2797 N. Green Valley Parkway, Henderson
Age limit: 18+
Event posted Aug. 25, 2010
Last updated Aug. 25, 2010
- The backlash has taken hold — but why was Biebs booed?
- Caesars Entertainment announces changes in executive positions
- Golden Gate owners hit rock bottom — for heating and cooling systems
- Swinger blocked from operating sex club gets another day in court
- Wicked Whispers & Racy Rumors: NASCAR, Britney Spears, Jerry Lewis, Liberace and Criss Angel
- Former soccer coach, 36, going to prison on sex charges involving teenage player
- Skorkowsky appointed CCSD superintendent in unanimous vote
- Strip Scribbles: Coco Austin shoots ‘Think Like a Man, Too’ and watches ‘Peepshow’ proposal
- County elections chief to serve on presidential panel to streamline voting
- Bill closing gun background check loophole advances at Nevada Legislature
Penn Jillette finishes second but spins a lot of magic on 'All-Star Celebrity Apprentice' (2 Comments)
Live from the Billboard Music Awards: Swift wins Top Artist; Bieber wins Milestone Award; Prince burns in finale (2 Comments)
Locally owned and independent for more than 50 years.