The English Beat
House of Blues presents The English Beat and Jo Beng
Jackie Butler Photography
In the middle of world-wide political and social turmoil, a music group devoted to change formed in 1979 and called themselves, The Beat.
They found runaway success with a cover of Smokey Robinson's "Tears Of A Clown" and toured with music acts like The Clash, David Bowie, REM, The Pretenders and Talking Heads.
The Beat was a socially active band and used their success to shed light on important issues of the day. They donated all profits from their hit single, "Stand Down Margaret" to the Committee for Nuclear Disarmament and gave the rights to their songs for benefits such as the anti-nuclear album "Life in The European Theatre."
Over the years, the band has lost and gained some members and broken up altogether. But in 2003, The English Beat came together for a mini-tour which sold out the Royal Festival Hall. This sparked member Dave Wakeling to continue with the band's come-back success and has been touring all over the U.S., Mexico, Canada and the U.K. since.
The English Beat will perform at the House of Blues, Friday, March 21 at 7:30 p.m. Tickets are $20 if purchased before and $22 at the door. As with all House of Blues concerts, all attendees 16 years and under must be accompanied by an adult 18 and older with proof of ID.
When: Friday, March 21, 2008
THIS EVENT HAS PASSED
Where: House of Blues , 3950 S. Las Vegas Boulevard, Las Vegas
Cost: $20 - $22
Age limit: All ages
- The English Beat's MySpace page (March 5, 2008)
- The English Beat's Web site (March 5, 2008)
- Jo Beng's MySpace page (March 5, 2008)
Event posted March 5, 2008
Last updated Aug. 11, 2008
- Tobacco Plus Expo 2015
- Las Vegas Convention Center | None
- Art Square | 20:00:00
- Falmouth Institute, Inc. - The Tribal Workplace in the Digital Age
- Embassy Suites Las Vegas Airport | None
- Native Nation Events, LLC - Fifth Annual Native American Human Resources Conference
- Fabergé Revealed
- The Bellagio Gallery of Fine Art
- Human Experience at The Beat
- The Beat Coffeehouse