Las Vegas Sun

April 23, 2024

This is a press release submitted to the Las Vegas Sun. It has not been verified or edited by the Sun.

Press Release

Statement from Ed O’Bannon, lead plaintiff in lawsuit versus the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA)

Published on Fri, Aug 8, 2014 (7:58 p.m.)

Statement from Ed O’Bannon, lead plaintiff in lawsuit versus the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), regarding Judge Claudia Wilken’s ruling in favor of the plaintiffs on Aug. 8, 2014:

“I am very pleased with Judge Wilken’s ruling. This is a game-changer for college athletes, both current and former. From the outset when I saw my image being used as a character in a video game, I just wanted to right a wrong. It is only fair that your own name, image and likeness belong to you, regardless of your definition of amateurism. Judge Wilken’s ruling ensures that basic principle shall apply to all participants in college athletics.

“I want to thank Michael Hausfeld for trumpeting our cause in this class action suit and I want to give a special thanks to Sonny Vaccaro for giving me the support and encouragement to pursue this course of action. My co-defendants and myself are celebrating a big victory tonight…a win where justice was served.”

MEDIA ADVISORY:
Ed O’Bannon will be made available to the media at a press conference on Saturday, Aug. 9 at Findlay Toyota at 3 p.m. PT.

• WHEN: Saturday, Aug. 9 at 3 p.m. PT
• WHERE: Findlay Toyota, 7733 Eastgate Road, Henderson, NV 89011

Any other media inquiries can be made to bd Global at 859.951.6141 or [email protected].