Las Vegas Sun

April 20, 2024

This is a press release submitted to the Las Vegas Sun. It has not been verified or edited by the Sun.

Press Release

Hometown news: Airman defends operating base in Kabul

Published on Wed, Jul 30, 2014 (5:56 a.m.)

July 23, 2014
Release # 20140723-007
Local Airman defends base in Afghanistan
KABUL, Afghanistan – A U.S. Air Force Airman from Las Vegas successfully defended Forward Operating Base OQAB during a more than four hour insurgent attack, July 17, 2014.

Airman 1st Class James Munger, son of Carol and James Munger of Las Vegas, is currently deployed and serving as a Security Forces member with the 438th Air Expeditionary Wing at Forward Operating Base OQAB, at Kabul International Airport. This is his first deployment.

In the pre-dawn hours of July 17, a group of anti-Afghanistan forces gained access to a multi-story building under construction approximately 350 meters from the base and airport fence line. Fighting from the rooftop and windows on several stories, the attackers began firing rocket propelled grenades and shooting automatic weapons at the Afghan Air Force base adjoining the airport, and the U.S. Air Force FOB within the compound. The Taliban has claimed responsibility for the attack, according to multiple media sources.

Munger was off-duty and sleeping at the time the hostilities began, just after 4 a.m.

“We had a mortar attack just the previous day, Munger said. “So I thought this was just another. Then I heard a ‘Pop! Pop! Pop!’ and I thought it was gunshots. Then I heard sirens and so I geared up and headed out. I saw tracer rounds and heard shots that sounded so close I thought they were on base.”

Munger linked up with a noncommissioned officer, who with bullets flying over their heads assigned him to Tower 6, which as it turned out was not in the closest range or angle to the enemy attackers.

“I was disappointed at first, because I wanted to be IN the fight,” Munger said. “But I found a way to help. I grabbed a spotting scope and started calling out their positions to our guys closer up.”

The insurgents fired more than 20 rocket propelled grenades at the Afghan, U.S., and coalition forces and assets during the attack, detonated a vehicle-borne IED, and donned suicide vests. Due to the suppressive fire provided by Munger and fellow Airmen, the attacks were not particularly accurate. There was minor damage to facilities and property, but friendly forces received no significant injuries and no casualties during the battle.

Although by the numbers, the rocket propelled grenades were not very effective for the insurgents, one in particular came pretty close to causing a tragedy. It was this one that scared Munger most.

“I saw a mortar hit right in front of Tower 2 and explode. I was so scared for the ones in Tower 2; all the security forces here are family, but some of my closest friends were in that tower. And the periods of silence really killed me, when they would stop firing for a few minutes. Because you knew something was going to happen any minute!”

The attack ultimately ended when an Afghan-led quick reaction force, enabled by the suppressive fire from the Air Force defenders, arrived at the enemy position and swept the building to eliminate the remaining attackers. Based on preliminary analysis, at least four insurgents were killed.

Munger is forward deployed to Afghanistan from Al Dhafra Air Base, United Arab Emirates. His home station is Cannon Air Force Base, N.M., where he serves with the 27th Special Operations Security Forces Squadron.

The 438th AEWs mission is to set the conditions for a professional, independent, and sustainable Afghan Air Force to meet the present and future security requirements of Afghanistan. Munger is assigned to provide base and personnel security in support of that mission.
-30-