This is a press release submitted to the Las Vegas Sun. It has not been verified or edited by the Sun.
The Buddha Awakens in Las Vegas June 19
Published on Tue, Jun 10, 2014 (7:33 a.m.)Leading Contemporary Religion Scholar and Author To Discuss Essential Questions About the Practice of Religion
Las Vegas, NV--June 9, 2014-- Clark Strand, internationally-known author and lecturer on spirituality and religion, speaks at the Soka Gakkai International (SGI)-USA Las Vegas Community Center, Thurs., June 19, 2014, 7-8:30 p.m, 2725 W. Charleston Blvd.
A former Zen Buddhist monk, Strand is the contributing editor for contemporary Buddhism’s leading publication, Tricycle: The Buddhist Review. He discusses his new book, Waking the Buddha: How the Most Dynamic and Empowering Buddhist Movement in History Is Changing Our Concept of Religion, which asks questions and proposes answers about the practice of religion and Buddhism in particular.
• Is there more to Buddhism than sitting in silent meditation?
• Is modern Buddhism relevant to the problems of daily life?
• Does it empower individuals to transform their lives and the world they live in?
• Or has Buddhism become too detached, so still and quiet that the Buddha has fallen asleep?
Strand is the author of How to Believe in God: Whether You Believe in Religion or Not and Meditation Without Gurus, as well as numerous groundbreaking articles, including the first comprehensive feature article written in English on Internet spirituality. He has founded and led spiritual study groups such as the Woodstock Buddhist Bible Study, taught workshops and retreats, and lectured at colleges and universities. Former President Jimmy Carter has called Strand’s previous works “new and thought-provoking.”
The SGI-USA is a lay Buddhist association dedicated to promoting the values of Peace, Culture and Education, and is a member of the worldwide SGI network of 12 million people in 192 countries and territories. There are more than 2,000 SGI-USA Las Vegas Buddhist members.
Following his talk will be a Q&A; and book signing with the audience. The event is free and open to the public.
# # #
Please note: Mr. Strand is available for telephone interviews in advance of his talk.
For photo and book cover art: http://wakingthebuddha.org/media-and-events/
For General Event Information:
SGI-USA Las Vegas, 702.258.6489
- Q+A: Jeff Dunham brings ‘Not Playing With a Full Deck’ to Planet Hollywood
- College football by the odds: Vegas picks and preview of week 14
- Laxalt signs onto statement opposing Obama’s actions on immigration
- Woman hospitalized after Thanksgiving Day house fire
- Piero’s dishes out turkey, happiness at charity dinner