Las Vegas Sun

April 19, 2024

This is a press release submitted to the Las Vegas Sun. It has not been verified or edited by the Sun.

Press Release

Roseman University Professor Selected for ASHP Foundation Research Boot Camp

Published on Thu, Mar 27, 2014 (7:33 a.m.)

BETHESDA, Md. (March 27, 2014) ― Trang Susan Nguyen, Pharm.D., has been selected to participate with five other pharmacists in the American Society of Health-System Pharmacists (ASHP) Research and Education Foundation Research Boot Camp, a research skills development program composed of distance education, experiential and research conduct components. Dr. Nguyen is an Assistant Professor of Pharmacy Practice at Roseman University of Health Sciences in Henderson, Nev.

The Research Boot Camp was created to foster the development of pharmacists’ practice-based research skills; to drive the advancement of translational research by providing clinicians with the expertise, tools and support to start a practice-based research program; and to enhance safe and effective medication use by promoting evidence-based decision making for individual patients and populations of patients.

“It is an honor to be accepted as an ASHP Foundation’s Research Boot Camp Program participant and to work with local and program mentors to take my research skills to the next level,” said Dr. Nguyen, who also serves as a clinical pharmacist at UMC Primary Care-Spring Valley. “Not only is conducting and sharing my research an important component of my career, but it also allows me to improve patient care and engage students in research. This opportunity will allow me to grow personally and professionally as a pharmacy practitioner.”

During the boot camp, participants will develop a research idea into a well-structured research plan to be executed following completion of robust distance and experiential education components. The boot camp’s experiential portion, which will take place May 21-23, gives the participants an opportunity to meet with three seasoned pharmacist investigators to discuss their planned research studies in depth. Participants’ sponsoring institutions provide seed support to individuals who successfully complete the Research Boot Camp to carry out their projects.

More information about the Research Boot Camp can be found at www.ashpfoundation.org/bootcamp.

About the Foundation
The ASHP Research and Education Foundation (www.ashpfoundation.org) was established in 1968 by the American Society of Health-System Pharmacists (www.ashp.org) as a nonprofit, tax-exempt organization. The mission of the Foundation is to improve the health and well-being of patients in hospitals and health systems through appropriate, safe and effective medication use.

The Foundation provides leadership and conducts education and research activities that foster the coordination of interdisciplinary medication management leading to optimal patient outcomes. Emphasis is given to programs that will have a major impact on advancing pharmacy practice in hospitals and health systems, thereby improving public health.

Contact Information
Daniel J. Cobaugh, Pharm.D.
Vice President
ASHP Research and Education Foundation
Bethesda, Md.
301-664-8612
[email protected]

Bethany Coulter, M.A.
Director of Communications and Events
ASHP Research and Education Foundation
Bethesda, Md.
301-664-8795