This is a press release submitted to the Las Vegas Sun. It has not been verified or edited by the Sun.
March For Meals: Mayor Goodman To Deliver Meals On Wheels To Homebound
Published on Fri, Mar 7, 2014 (1:50 p.m.)(LAS VEGAS) – Catholic Charities of Southern Nevada will be celebrating Mayors for Meals Day on Monday, March 18 at 11:00 a.m. at the Catholic Charities Senior Nutrition Building located at 531 N. 30th Street as part of the launch of this year’s March For Meals national campaign. Mayors for Meals Day will include a welcome by Deacon Thomas Roberts, Catholic Charities President and Chief Executive Officer. Mayor Carolyn G. Goodman will personally deliver a week’s worth of meals to Meals on Wheels senior client to show her support for the community’s aging population. Live cooking demonstration will be performed by Food Services Executive Chef Juan Penate.
The Meals On Wheels Association of America (MOWAA) March For Meals campaign seeks to raise awareness of senior hunger and to encourage action on the part of the local community. Senior nutrition programs across the United States – like Catholic Charities Senior Nutrition Meals on Wheels program – promote March For Meals in their local communities through public events, partnerships with local businesses and fundraising initiatives.
Facts About Catholic Charities’ Meals on Wheels Program
• Catholic Charities has been providing "Meals on Wheels" to older adults in southern Nevada since 1975.
• We are the only home-delivered meal program for seniors in Las Vegas and North Las Vegas that provides meals at no cost to the client.
• Demand for services are high, we currently have more than 600 people on our waiting list.
• Annually 485,000 meals are prepared from scratch; packaged, flash frozen and delivered in freezer trucks by our caring delivery drivers.
• Currently serving 1,325 clients utilizing 16 unique delivery routes.
• Donations of pet food are also delivered for our client's beloved companions.
About Catholic Charities of Southern Nevada
Catholic Charities of Southern Nevada is one of the largest nonprofit social service providers in the state. CCSN offers over 20 diverse services designed to help people of all ages regardless of race, religion, or creed. For more information about Catholic Charities please visit: www.catholiccharities.com/ Connect with CCSN on Facebook and Twitter: @CathCharitiesLV
- Police: Man who failed to rob downtown bank succeeds at another nearby
- Picking the props: 10 winning wagers to make on the Super Bowl
- Injured Okonoboh leads Rebels to payback 67-62 victory at UNR
- Photos: ‘Frank: The Man, The Music,’ Yardbird celebrate at Venetian-Palazzo
- Judge says Caesars bankruptcy case will proceed in Illinois