Las Vegas Sun

September 2, 2014

Currently: 90° — Complete forecast | Log in

This is a press release submitted to the Las Vegas Sun. It has not been verified or edited by the Sun.

Press Release

International Holocaust Memorial Day

Published on Tue, Jan 21, 2014 (9:59 a.m.)

Congregation Ner Tamid, the Jewish Federation of Las Vegas & The Nevada Governor's Advisory Council on Education Relating to the Holocaust will host International Holocaust Memorial Day with guest speaker Ret. Major Leonard Berney on Monday, January 27 at 7:00pm. A first-hand account of the liberation of Bergen-Belsen, Major Leonard Berney was the British Military Officer in charge of the camp who orchestrated the Nazi handover to the British. Major Leonard Berney recalls 'indescribable' horror of liberating Belsen concentration camp He remained in charge of dealing with the camp and survivors until the camp was burned to the ground after everyone was evacuated.

Major Leonard Berney says, “I will never forget the "sights, sounds and smells" I experienced as one of the first Allied soldiers to enter the Bergen-Belsen concentration camp towards the end of the Second World War.”
This was an incredible experience for Leonard and remains an amazing story for all to hear. He is an excellent speaker and one of the World's few surviving military officers involved in the liberation of the concentration camps at the end of World War II. It is hard to imagine what he was confronted with as a young officer in the British Army. “I have heard his presentation and it is riveting!! This should prove to be a long remembered event for the Las Vegas community” said temple member Steve Kollins.

This program is offered at no charge and open to the community, RSVP requested, please contact Beth Bowman at 733-6292 ext 205.

Congregation Ner Tamid on the Greenspun Campus for Jewish Life, Learning & Spiritual Renewal is located at 55 North Valle Verde in Henderson, at the intersection of I-215 and Valle Verde. Visit us on the web at WWW.LVNERTAMID.ORG. Congregation Ner Tamid is Nevada’s largest Reform synagogue and is affiliated with the Union for Reform Judaism.

Most Popular

• Viewed
  • Discussed
  • E-mailed